Any reason not to paint over water resistant drywall in shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom in three stages. Stage one is to make it a two piece bathroom with a working sink and toilet. Stage two is to install a surround and new faucet/shower hardware. Stage three is to install a new water heater.

So right now I have what you'd probably typically see, paint everywhere except where the surround would go. I probably won't be doing the surround for about six weeks, so is there any reason I shouldn't paint over the water resistant drywall so it has a decent, presentable look in the meantime?

TIA!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I presume you are using a glue-up surround. I would possibly prime the greenboard, but not finish coat it. The tub surround adhesive does not cure well if applied to a non porous surface. I would check with the adhesive instructions and see if even the primer is allowed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks