New HET 1.28G toilets. Is quick flush,a flaw or feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
Is there a trick to flush the new HET toilets?. Do you have to press the flush handle for extra 3-4 secs to have it clean everything? I am wondering because I have the Riverton 1.28G EL which cleans the liquids very well but for solids I have to flush twice or hold down the flush handle. Is this a design or flaw? More so is an issue or feature with all the new HET 1.28G Gravity flush toilets?

I am considering buying other brand, cant afford TOTO its not available in the North Chicagoland area. The only other high ranking toilet is the A.S Cadet3 but I guess these ranks are for the 1.6G flush and not the 1.28G flush.

Whoever uses the HET 1.28G toilets please let us know how your toilet performs. At the least does it clean the solids in single flush or not? Or do you have to flush twice when you have solids in the bowl?

Your replies will be much appreciated. Based on your replies I will be buying 3 new toilets. :D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No low-flow toilet will clean the bowl as well as the old ones that used maybe as much as 5x more water. Another issue is the size of the water spot in the bowl. A low-flow toilet just can't have as large of a water spot, or it would require more water to flush. It is important to sit at the back of the seat to try to place the goods into the water. Diet can make a huge difference, too. That being said, some designs have lousy bowl rinse, regardless of the amount of water they use. The glaze on the toilet can make a difference, too. Many of the manufacturers have a super slick glaze that makes it easier to wash stuff off. That is of little consequence if the design is lousy. Toto's version of this is called CEFIONTECT. Toto's newest flush system is called Dual Cyclone. Instead of holes punched into the bottom of the rim, there is no rim per se, and there are two outlets that point sideways which causes the flush water to swirl around the bowl. The combination of the super slick glaze and this technology makes for a cleaner bowl. Nothing's perfect, but this is definately better. Considering the toilets will probably be there for the next 20-years or more, the difference in cost is small on a per year basis. Not counting the aggravation.

All low-flow toilets will release more water if you hold the handle down. They use the extra water in the tank for two reasons: it gives it more oomph because it is higher, and it warms up the incoming water as it mixes with the room-temp water there to help prevent condensation. Emptying the whole tank by holding the handle down means you are more likely to get condensation on the tank.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All low-flow toilets will release more water if you hold the handle down.

To get the HET / water sense certificate, and certainly to qualify for local rebates, the toilets are designed so that you CANNOT get more water by holding the handle down. They will flush the 1.28 gal, and will not flush any more until the tank fills up and you release the flush lever, then flush again.

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
So basically when you have an HET toilet you have to flush twice if someone creates a big mess you will definitely have to flush twice? I think this whole water conservation thing is great but in reality its actually causing people to use more water....well not as much as the old 3.5G per flush but at least 2.5G per use because people who use the toilet to flush solids have to flush it twice. I think HET's are best for powder rooms where the majority of the use is just passing liquids. I might have to go with the TOTO drake 1.6G instead of the A.S Cadet 3 HET because I don't think it will do a good job of cleaning the solids because of the amount of the water is uses to flush 1.28G............frustrating indeed.

Thanks a lot for your post :)

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with stains because I take lots of fibers not do I have a target issue...hehe. The problem is the quantity, and like you mentioned no HET will clean as other higher gallon flush toilets do ir did. So if I buy a Cadet3 I am bound to use 2x1.28G flushes per use. So no water saving here but then when used for flushing out liquids I think the HET comes handy. Using 1.6G or more water to clean urine is a criminal waste.

Also condentation is not at all an issue, I am trying to figure out that if all HET's are to be used by holding down the handle for extra time then I dont see a point in spending $150 more and buying a Cadet3 or a Toto because by holding down the handle my Sterling Rivertion HET 1.28G works just fine. See what I mean? I have to buy 3 toilets, if I get the same performace(not cleaning solids in one flush and holding down the handle for it to clean) from Cadet3 or Toto HET why should I spend the extra money?

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
No low-flow toilet will clean the bowl as well as the old ones that used maybe as much as 5x more water. Another issue is the size of the water spot in the bowl. A low-flow toilet just can't have as large of a water spot, or it would require more water to flush. It is important to sit at the back of the seat to try to place the goods into the water. Diet can make a huge difference, too. That being said, some designs have lousy bowl rinse, regardless of the amount of water they use. The glaze on the toilet can make a difference, too. Many of the manufacturers have a super slick glaze that makes it easier to wash stuff off. That is of little consequence if the design is lousy. Toto's version of this is called CEFIONTECT. Toto's newest flush system is called Dual Cyclone. Instead of holes punched into the bottom of the rim, there is no rim per se, and there are two outlets that point sideways which causes the flush water to swirl around the bowl. The combination of the super slick glaze and this technology makes for a cleaner bowl. Nothing's perfect, but this is definately better. Considering the toilets will probably be there for the next 20-years or more, the difference in cost is small on a per year basis. Not counting the aggravation.

All low-flow toilets will release more water if you hold the handle down. They use the extra water in the tank for two reasons: it gives it more oomph because it is higher, and it warms up the incoming water as it mixes with the room-temp water there to help prevent condensation. Emptying the whole tank by holding the handle down means you are more likely to get condensation on the tank.

I dont have a problem with stains because I take lots of fibers not do I have a target issue...hehe. The problem is the quantity, and like you mentioned no HET will clean as other higher gallon flush toilets do ir did. So if I buy a Cadet3 I am bound to use 2x1.28G flushes per use. So no water saving here but then when used for flushing out liquids I think the HET comes handy. Using 1.6G or more water to clean urine is a criminal waste.

Also condentation is not at all an issue, I am trying to figure out that if all HET's are to be used by holding down the handle for extra time then I dont see a point in spending $150 more and buying a Cadet3 or a Toto because by holding down the handle my Sterling Rivertion HET 1.28G works just fine. See what I mean? I have to buy 3 toilets, if I get the same performace(not cleaning solids in one flush and holding down the handle for it to clean) from Cadet3 or Toto HET why should I spend the extra money?

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
To get the HET / water sense certificate, and certainly to qualify for local rebates, the toilets are designed so that you CANNOT get more water by holding the handle down. They will flush the 1.28 gal, and will not flush any more until the tank fills up and you release the flush lever, then flush again.

So basically when you have an HET toilet you have to flush twice if someone creates a big mess you will definitely have to flush twice? I think this whole water conservation thing is great but in reality its actually causing people to use more water....well not as much as the old 3.5G per flush but at least 2.5G per use because people who use the toilet to flush solids have to flush it twice. I think HET's are best for powder rooms where the majority of the use is just passing liquids. I might have to go with the TOTO drake 1.6G instead of the A.S Cadet 3 HET because I don't think it will do a good job of cleaning the solids because of the amount of the water is uses to flush 1.28G............frustrating indeed.

Thanks a lot for your post :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people have sticky, messy stools, some don't. Some people have an explosive discharge, scattering stuff all over, some lay out one log. A good toilet will evacuate the entire mess in one flush. Skid marks, especially above the bowl's normal waterline, will wash off in most cases with a good design. Not all designs are perfect, but some are MUCH better than others. Something like CEFIONTECT helps, too. The Dual Cyclone flush system helps yet a bit more. So, depending on the person and the toilet, you may never get a skid mark. With some people's diet and/or digestive track, regardless of the toilet, they'll have problems. Personally, mine are not sticky, and unless sick, just don't leave skid marks on any toilet. Your results may differ... For most people, a HET is a significant water saver without side effects; if, you pick one of the better ones. Toto is the largest toilet manufacturer on the entire earth, and the US is one of the last to get low-flow toilets. They have significant experience in building them.

Frustrated_flusher

Reaction score
Some people have sticky, messy stools, some don't. Some people have an explosive discharge, scattering stuff all over, some lay out one log. A good toilet will evacuate the entire mess in one flush. Skid marks, especially above the bowl's normal waterline, will wash off in most cases with a good design. Not all designs are perfect, but some are MUCH better than others. Something like CEFIONTECT helps, too. The Dual Cyclone flush system helps yet a bit more. So, depending on the person and the toilet, you may never get a skid mark. With some people's diet and/or digestive track, regardless of the toilet, they'll have problems. Personally, mine are not sticky, and unless sick, just don't leave skid marks on any toilet. Your results may differ... For most people, a HET is a significant water saver without side effects; if, you pick one of the better ones. Toto is the largest toilet manufacturer on the entire earth, and the US is one of the last to get low-flow toilets. They have significant experience in building them.

Graphic......but the info helps. I dont have any such issues so I guess the HEt should help. But you know I really really really want the TOTO drake now...... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks