Stove/Range circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've got to replace the wiring to a stove, normal type installation, about 25-30 ft from breaker box. What would be the normal size breaker and size wire used for this type 220 volt circuit? It will not be run in conduit. It's just a normal stove with 4 burners and an oven.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
What is the model # of the range.
It will tell you the min. size circuit.

I run 6/3 with a ground form my freestanding units, and install a 50 amp breaker.
You may be able to get by with 8/3 and ground and a 40 amp breaker.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any new circuit needs 4-wires, a retrofit can be done with an existing 3-wire circuit (where neutral and ground are connected at the range). All new ones have neutral and ground separate at the range, and all new wiring to it should be that way, too. The size depends on the range, and to a limited degree, the length of the wire. With the length of the run you are considering, length isn't that big a deal so no reason to upgrade it for that. You can use a smaller cb on a larger wire, but can't go the other way. So, you could err on the size of the wire (bigger), and then choose the breaker suggested by the range. Downside is, larger wire costs more. It all depends on the range you choose.

If you are considering a range hood or a combined hood/microwave, or a hood with heating lamps and a big motor, then run another circuit along with the stove's as well.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
thanks... after reading other threads I felt like 8/3 WG aluminum or copper 10/3 WG would do the trick with a 40 amp breaker. It's a standard household range without all those wild bells & whistles...

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Neither one of those cables can support a 40 amp breaker.
10/3 copper can be used on a 30 amp breaker.
8/3 AL can only be used on a 30 amp breaker.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks! That's why I came here to ask questions. I'm doing this for someone else. I just got off the phone with him and he already purchased the materials and got 6/3WG and a 50 amp breaker. I guess he asked someone at the blue store but I know he got the same size copper as he had in aluminum.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's best to use the size breaker the stove calls for. If the wire ends up being oversized, no problem (as long as it will fit in the breaker!).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are replacing it, then if may be a three wire installation. If so, then you need a new 4 wire pigtail for the range along with a new receptacle.

Fubar411

Reaction score
If he's doing aluminum, make sure he has the nox goop and pays attention to how tight everything is. Also, have to make sure the receptical can be used with aluminum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks