Toto is constantly filling, not quite sure how to fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Momof6

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
I replaced a horrible American Standard toilet in 2007 for a Toto based on your recommendation. I am happy to report we have not had a clog since then! (A miracle, considering that our son loved to throw small toys down as a toddler). Thank you, thank you!

My recent issue is that the fill valve (a G-Max) does not stop flowing. The flapper was replaced a few months ago and seems sound. I am not quite sure where the problem lies or how to fix it. This fill valve is a lot different to the Fluid Master or the ball kind so I am at a loss on how to proceed. Any ideas? Do I need to replace the valve? Is three years a typical lifespan for the G-Max fill valve?

TIA for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto uses a couple of different fill valves. If it has the one with a screw on the top, I think that may need to be replaced. If it does not have a screw on the top, it is likely one made for them by Korky, the Korky quietfill. If you have that one, there is a replaceable cap inside that you can buy at Lowes or most plumbing stores for about $3. It may be that there's some crud underneath, and removing it may resolve the issue. How long it lasts depends on the water coming in. On a well, if you get some grit, you may need to clean it out periodically. Same issue if you turn the water off to do maintenance - turning it back on can cause any deposits on the insides of the pipes to break loose. If you have the Korky valve, somewhere here are the instructions, and they are available on Korky's website. They are also on the back of the package of the replacement cap, if you can use that one. They can last anywhere from a few years, to a decade or more...hard to tell, as water conditions differ.

Once you figure it out, replacement takes about a minute...

www.terrylove.com/korky

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the water going over the top of the overflow tube or, never reaching the top of the overflow tube?

Momof6

Reaction score
Thanks you for your timely suggestions. It helped to see the diagrams for the Korky Quietfill. It looks just like the G-Max fill valve I have right now (with the exception of the blue cover).

To answer a diagnostic question, the water is going over the top of the overflow tube. I took apart the fill valve according to the Korky troubleshooting tips. The red diaphragm appeared to be fine, with no noticeable wear. It moved okay. The strainer had one small hair in it, no signs of grit or debris. I cleaned everything, put it all together, and now it it overflowing even faster. What did I do wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Melanie

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There is one other possibility, if the height adjustment of the fill valve was changed to be higher, it would continue to run if it was now higher than the overflow. In pulling the cover off, if the lock wasn't on, you could have raised the tower, and now it is too high, the fill point means it would have to be above the overflow. Normally, this is locked, and not easily moved, but who knows. More likely the fill cap. It doesn't take much to cause it to leak. Also, if you didn't lock the cap in fully, it could cause this.

Momof6

Reaction score
I apologize for being slow to respond to this thread--I lost my password for a time. I just wanted to write back and report that your suggestions were right on the money! I needed a $3 replacement cap! Thank you so much for providing this forum!!

Ravenstone Tiles

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenstonetiles.com
Dripping Toto toilet

I have a two piece round Toto toilet, 1.6 gal flush. It has started dripping steadily about 2 - 3 drops per second and pretty much continuously. The drips fall from the black fill valve into the plastic pipe that sticks up through the water below it. Am I wasting all that water? If so, what can I do to get this fixed or properly adjusted?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Sanz

Reaction score
SOS....New Toto flapper, water still constantly running!!!

Had problems with original flapper - always had to take the tank cover off and press on
the flapper for it to fill. So husband installed new Toto flapper this morning. The tank still
was not filling up and water was constantly running but he had to go to work so he turned off
the water supply valve.

What can I check to find the problem? Could it be the chain length?

P.S. We have the G-Max

www.terrylove.com/korky

Dlpig

Reaction score
G-Max: long delay before refilling begins after flush

I have a problem with a five year old Toto toilet with G-Max that no one else on the form seems to have had, at least as far as I can tell. It flushes OK, but there is delay before the fill valve begins to refill the tank. The delay varies but has been getting longer, sometimes five or ten minutes. Once refilling begins, everything proceeds normally. The fill valve also has a small leak. I know it is the fill valve, because the water level rises very slowly in the tank until it reaches the top of the overflow tube.

www.terrylove.com/korky

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Assuming it has the Korky fill valve (blue cap), pick up a replacement seal for a couple of dollars at Lowes or a plumbing supply store (HD doesn't, or at least didn't carry this part). Takes about a minute to replace, well, maybe longer the first time you do it, and the instructions are on the package. While you're there, you might want to pick up a new flapper. Put it away, and replace it when yours eventuall gets too soft to hold a good seal. At least with my water, they last about 5-years, then get softer and softer such that the water pressure actually pushes the flapper down the seat and leaks.

www.terrylove.com/korky

Dlpig

Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice.

Thanks jadnashua, I'll get the fill cap as soon as I can get to a Lowes. I'll also get a new flapper.

Assuming it has the Korky fill valve (blue cap), pick up a replacement seal for a couple of dollars at Lowes or a plumbing supply store (HD doesn't, or at least didn't carry this part). Takes about a minute to replace, well, maybe longer the first time you do it, and the instructions are on the package. While you're there, you might want to pick up a new flapper. Put it away, and replace it when yours eventuall gets too soft to hold a good seal. At least with my water, they last about 5-years, then get softer and softer such that the water pressure actually pushes the flapper down the seat and leaks.

www.terrylove.com/korky

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks