Kitchen faucet nut won't budge for removal

Users who are viewing this thread

learning

Reaction score
I'm having an impossible time removing a 16-year-old Moen M7800 kitchen faucet. It's to be completely replaced, so it doesn't matter if it gets damaged in the process.

Here's the main problem: rather than there being three lines (hot, cold, spray) that run through the central hole in the sink, there is a one central copper threaded line, with copper pipe extensions for all three connections soldered to the base of that.

So there is only one rather large fixture attaching it to the underside of the sink, with a single metal washer and nut. The nut is about 1 3/8 - 1.5 inches diameter, and due to it's size, a basin wrench won't go around it. Due to it's age, it's corroded. It's in behind the center of a double sink, and hard to get a good grip with enough force with anything large enough to go around the nut.

My local big box hardware store suggested spraying it with PB Blaster and giving it a go, even whacking it with a hammer to loosen it. I've done all that, but with no luck so far.

Oh, the garbage disposal is out, so there is a bit more room to move around under there. It's being replaced too, so it's gone so I could get at the faucet.

If I could just get this nut off, I could be on with the rest of the project! Has anyone else run into this? Thank you for any advice and suggestions.

Attachments

• learning_moen.jpg
    learning_moen.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7,973
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That doesn't look that corroded. There are basin wrenches, and then there are basin wrenches.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a ridgid # 1017 basin wrench that will take it right off !

They are made much heavy-er duty then the cheap you might buy at a hardware store

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The neat way is to cut the nut with a dremel. I like to use a cold chisel. The nut will either turn, or split. It takes some "touch" because you don't want to damage the sink. I have done it often, with no accidents.

learning

Reaction score
Comforting to hear someone more experienced refer to it as not that corroded. (Pic was taken after 2 applications of PB Blaster, which did help some.) Excellent point about the basin wrenches. The ones I've seen around here (so far) are the smaller ones meant for water line connections, so I'll have to keep looking.

learning

Reaction score
@jay_wat: if only I had one that size…
@MACPLUMB 777: Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction for what to look for. Very helpful, as the ones I keep finding are pretty "cheap" feeling.
@jimbo: I tried something similar to the chisel method you describe, with a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer, which obviously doesn't have the heft and force of impact a good chisel does. Great idea with the dremel. I might be able to borrow one; will have to do some calling in the morning.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your expertise with me!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Comforting to hear someone more experienced refer to it as not that corroded. .

I guess what was meant was "if you want to see corroded, you should have seen the monster over at Mrs. Smith's house!" Sort of plumber's wives tales!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Even if you get it "loose" you will have a problem unless you have someone to hold the top while you struggle with the nut. Use a drill bit and drill on both sides of the nut. It will then "fall off".

faucet-nut-drilled-3.jpg

faucet-nut-drilled-5.jpg

Use a drill bit and drill on both sides of the nut. It will then "fall off".

faucet-nut-drilled-4.jpg

The new faucet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would not serve any purpose to put TPFE tape on the thread.

Tape is the most misused product in plumbing. So many times when I get called out for a leak, it's just a matter of removing tape that should have never been used. It's very rare for any DIY or homeowner plumbing that would ever need tape.

Flex supply lines for faucets? They come with seals on the ends already.
Water heater flex? They also come with seals.
Bathtub drains? The seal is made with the rubber washer between the shoe and the tub.
Compression stops? Nope, the seal is made with the ferrule.

Straight threads don't need tape, it sometimes prevents the nut from threading up all the way.

You can use tape on tapered threaded pipe if you are threading on a fitting. A thing that a homeowner will almost never do.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drilling with long bit is probably easiest since Dremel might not fit. Wear eye protection. If you can get some sort of wrench on it but no room to turn it, try unscrewing faucet from top. You might have to disassemble it a bit depending on design to get a grip on a non rotating part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks