(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen faucet nut won't budge for removal

Default Kitchen faucet nut won't budge for removal

I'm having an impossible time removing a 16-year-old Moen M7800 kitchen faucet. It's to be completely replaced, so it doesn't matter if it gets damaged in the process.

Here's the main problem: rather than there being three lines (hot, cold, spray) that run through the central hole in the sink, there is a one central copper threaded line, with copper pipe extensions for all three connections soldered to the base of that.

So there is only one rather large fixture attaching it to the underside of the sink, with a single metal washer and nut. The nut is about 1 3/8 - 1.5 inches diameter, and due to it's size, a basin wrench won't go around it. Due to it's age, it's corroded. It's in behind the center of a double sink, and hard to get a good grip with enough force with anything large enough to go around the nut.

My local big box hardware store suggested spraying it with PB Blaster and giving it a go, even whacking it with a hammer to loosen it. I've done all that, but with no luck so far.

I posted a full-size high resolution photo here: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e8a57ce883.jpg so you can see what I'm up against.

Oh, the garbage disposal is out, so there is a bit more room to move around under there. It's being replaced too, so it's gone so I could get at the faucet.

If I could just get this nut off, I could be on with the rest of the project! Has anyone else run into this? Thank you for any advice and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 08-02-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

That doesn't look that corroded. There are basin wrenches, and then there are basin wrenches.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

get the proper sized drill bit,,that will make quick work of it! good luck to ya!!

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need a ridgid # 1017 basin wrench that will take it right off !

They are made much heavy-er duty then the cheap you might buy at a hardware store

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

The neat way is to cut the nut with a dremel. I like to use a cold chisel. The nut will either turn, or split. It takes some "touch" because you don't want to damage the sink. I have done it often, with no accidents.

Comforting to hear someone more experienced refer to it as not that corroded. (Pic was taken after 2 applications of PB Blaster, which did help some.) Excellent point about the basin wrenches. The ones I've seen around here (so far) are the smaller ones meant for water line connections, so I'll have to keep looking.

@jay_wat: if only I had one that size…
    @MACPLUMB 777: Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction for what to look for. Very helpful, as the ones I keep finding are pretty "cheap" feeling.
    @jimbo: I tried something similar to the chisel method you describe, with a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer, which obviously doesn't have the heft and force of impact a good chisel does. Great idea with the dremel. I might be able to borrow one; will have to do some calling in the morning.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your expertise with me!

Quote Originally Posted by learning View Post
    Comforting to hear someone more experienced refer to it as not that corroded. .
    I guess what was meant was "if you want to see corroded, you should have seen the monster over at Mrs. Smith's house!" Sort of plumber's wives tales!

Default faucet

Even if you get it "loose" you will have a problem unless you have someone to hold the top while you struggle with the nut. Use a drill bit and drill on both sides of the nut. It will then "fall off".