What would you do in this situation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
How to eliminate the T&P as a possible source of the problem is to simply place a cup directly under the T&P discharge point and wait to see if it collects water. If it doesn't collect water you have eliminated the T&P as the problem.

The simplest way is the best way and I am not a plumber. :)

If he wanted simple, he wouldn't have specified "This is a question for professional plumbers only, please" LOL :p :D

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
If he wanted simple, he wouldn't have specified "This is a question for professional plumbers only, please" LOL :p :D

LOL.... that is funny!

Only doctors could make things more complicated! never an easy answer, lol.

Last edited:

Kstuart

Reaction score
The cup under the discharge pipe does not alway detect whether the relief valve has discharged water... but you get a pass on that one, since you are not a professional plumber.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
The cup under the discharge pipe does not alway detect whether the relief valve has discharged water... but you get a pass on that one, since you are not a professional plumber.

Okay, I'm stumped -- if the T&P is discharging, and a cup is placed at the end of the discharge pipe, how does the cup not detect that the T&P has discharged? Unless you're suggesting that Wally really IS sneaking into your garage at 2am, opening the T&P, and then pouring the contents of the cup onto the garage floor? :)

Kstuart

Reaction score
Okay, I'm stumped -- if the T&P is discharging, and a cup is placed at the end of the discharge pipe, how does the cup not detect that the T&P has discharged? Unless you're suggesting that Wally really IS sneaking into your garage at 2am, opening the T&P, and then pouring the contents of the cup onto the garage floor? :)

The original post had this part of the description:
The temp-pressure relief valve is piped into a side wall of the water heater closet, and exits that wall at a point just outside the closet

Cookie

Reaction score

I am not the one who doesn't know the answer, lol. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Me? What on earth did I do? :) other than try to help you of course... so much for thanks.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm like Santa. I sneak into peoples homes in the wee hours of the night and spill things. Obviously, if there is no sign of discharge from the T&P valve and no wetness around or on the water heater itself, the leak must be from another source. Perhaps dripping condensation, a leaking pipe above, bad seal around the tub surround above ect. Sometimes it takes a bit of detective work to catch me. :) And leave Cookie alone. She was just trying to be helpful and I agree with her about not messing with the drain valve unless you do it regularly or have a hose cap and washer in case it won't quit dripping.

Cookie

Reaction score
In 6 months Wally I can inspect homes :)

p.s. thank you

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
QUOTE:
"The original post had this part of the description:
The temp-pressure relief valve is piped into a side wall of the water heater closet, and exits that wall at a point just outside the closet."

I am stumped too. What is the relevance of this? Maybe a picture would help.

If you want to check into thermal expansion, get the $10 pressure gauge and hook it up to your washing machine supply valve. As described in a post above, run a slug of hot water for 10 minutes or so and watch the gauge. Better yet, spring for the slightly more expensive pressure gauge which has a "tattle tale" hand which will stay at the highest pressure setting it sees since it was reset so you can leave it on all night and it will keep track of the highest pressure.

Kstuart

Reaction score
In terms of the pressure relief valve...
... after the events described in the first post were followed by some dubious diagnoses and actions, which ended up solving the problem mostly by chance, I asked around locally for plumber recommendations, and received one. I emailed him the same description as in the first post, and his reply included this quote:
I just recently worked for a customer that had a relief line that leaked because an elbow was never soldered. Everything is hidden behind drywall and rarely has water in it so a missed solder joint is actually never tested. I think her home was 20+ years old by the time it actually leaked but it ended up ruining her wood floor in the living room.

So,relief valve is passing water, no water at end of discharge line, and water appearing beneath water heater in water heater closet...

PS The answers in this thread were a lot closer to the mark than the diagnoses of the guys who originally showed up at my house (which is what I was hoping for, given all the good info I have received here in the past).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks