How to find a good local plumber ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Kstuart

Reaction score
Does anyone have any method for finding a good local plumber ?

(Finding out that a randomly chosen plumber is incompetent, can be very painful in an emergency.)

Thanks !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ask Family, Friends, Co-Workers, and Neighbors....
You may even say where you are located here and find one of the regulars here is in your area or, knows someone in your area.
Then check the credentials on your states website to verify that the license is in order.
Most states do have an on-line license check...

You might try him on something before and emergency...

After that see what you think of him...
When you find a good one stick with him and recommend him to others...

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Stand on the curb and wave 100 dollar bills in the air :)

It's tough because plumbers run the gamut from hacks to real professionals. Cost always seems to be an issue but remember that you get what you pay for. References from friends and family are a good place to start as is the BBB but I would not rely solely on them. Get estimates and ask questions.

Kstuart

Reaction score
Well, I was looking for something applicable anywhere... but I am looking for someone in what locals call the "Central Coast" of California.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have an A rating with Angies, and A+ with BBBonline.
However Angies requires contractors to pay them to sort out near the top. So in the end, it's just like the yellow pages.

angies_list_08_award.jpg

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I have found those who advertise in the yellow pages are usually much higher in cost. Not just plumbers but in most professions. So, I usually, won't use it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those are usually the ones who have full page ads. But I never check to see how my prices compare with other plumbers, and would not change anything even I did. Do you find your contractors in the "home services" section of the newspaper ads?

Cookie

Reaction score
Those are usually the ones who have full page ads. But I never check to see how my prices compare with other plumbers, and would not change anything even I did. Do you find your contractors in the "home services" section of the newspaper ads?

I did enough of checking on different professions to know, and in answer to your question, nope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks