RTHRITIC & BLIND - need new toilet - no leaks and overflows - ON WELL & SEPTIC

Users who are viewing this thread

goldstrike

Reaction score
Lots of issues here, but I have a horrible low and small toilet that is very uncomfortable. Am. Standard circa 1990, no problem, but want a higher one. Sometimes I barely can get up.

I am on well and septic.

Also, I am nearly blind and cannot walk well, and I could walk and fall if the toilet leaks or overflows as I could not see that til too late.

The plumber wants to put in a kohler cimarron and I thought great, great height, and then I read the reviews here. The cimarron looked good, but seems to have trouble flushing, cleaning, overflowing, and leaking. But the plumber has them in his own house and insists that is the best one to buy.

Can you help me? Don't let cost be an issue, as I need this and will never replace again probably.

I am alone & rural and this is a major issue to me. I cannot need repairs and fixes, I need it to work and be comfortable.

Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cimarron will work better then what you had.

The Toto Drake does work better, better trapway design, and parts can be found at Lowes for it.

I imagine that your plumber has seen the Cimarron, but not the Toto Drake.
So for him, it would be the best "he's" seen.
Certainly not the best, "we've" seen.
But either one will be better then before.

Last edited:

goldstrike

Reaction score
to terry

[terry, thanks for the quick reply. The cimarron ratings here are so bad, yet that is all this plumber installs.

Keeps telling me that he has that in his own house, and I saw a dozen in his shop.

Should I push him to the toto? And might he have trouble ordering it and geting parts later. Lowes is about 35 miles from his business.

thank you so much, I have enough misery in my life, I don't need the toilet to add tot hat.

PS which toto is best?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're paying him to work for you. If he can't or won't get a Toto Drake, then fire him and hire one who will do what you want. Medford is a large enough city to surely have several plumbers. You want to specify an ADA height. These are slightly higher than the Comfort height, both of these are higher than the Standard height. By the way, the only parts ever needed are an occasional flapper and perhaps a fill valve. Depending on your water quality, this might be years. Lowe's is not the only place to get them either, most hardware stores will have them. One of the big advantages of a Toto toilet over a Kohler is the ease of obtaining these parts. Some Kohler parts have to be ordered from the factory and are extremely expensive, and some of their models they don't even support anymore.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi Goldstrike,
They only sell parts for Toto Toilets at Lowes not the toilets themselves.

But If you want a Toto You can get them right in Medford at:

Budge-Mc Hugh Supply CO Inc
125 W 4th Street
Medford, OR,
541-779-6180

goldstrike

Reaction score
so you would all prefer TOTO DRAKE over the kohler?

Learned something today, was unsure what the colors is and those bolt covers lift right off to compare. What a victory for me.

I am not exactly in medford, rural, we have grovers though, and maybe they can get either one.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler may have some neat designs that look good, but that doesn't mean they actually work good, or are easy to repair when something goes wrong. Toto actually has both (visual) and engineering designers and are the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world. That wouldn't be true if they didn't make a quality product. Try to find a Kohler outside of the US, but you can find a Toto nearly anywhere.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doubt if you can get a Toto at Grover's. I think that's what we refer to as a Box Store. Toto is sold only by plumbing shops, they are not sold in discount or box stores.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Grover's a box store. It is a fairly large electrical and plumbing store in the Medford area. They are more specialized than the box stores as they only carry electrical/plumbing (a good amount of both). I have no idea if they carry or can order Toto, though. I haven't been in there in a number of years. Might be worth giving them a call to see.

I grew up just south of Medford (in Phoenix, OR).

Take a look at the Drake and the Drake II. Both have a lot of nice features and would work well for your needs.

Good luck!

goldstrike

Reaction score
so to recap, kohler better than what I have. But toto drake or toto drake 2 is better to purchase. In an ADA height? Sorry, with my vision I cannot go on line to research, this is hard enough for me to write.

If you can tell me the specific toilet I need in a toto, what it is called or moderl number and height, etc, then I can ask the plumber to order.

Thanks to all. Sorry, that I cannot look this up myself, but really appreciate your caring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks