2nd expansion tank in 4 months

Users who are viewing this thread

pllckjsh

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for a little info here..I am the head of Maintenance for a big hotel chain in ohio..this is the problem we have 3 hot water heaters in one room all have expansion tanks...in april we noticed one of the expansion had a pin hole in it and was shooting water across the room...so we replaced it and just noticed today that the new expansion tank is leaking now. what would cause these to go bad so fast.The two other water heaters still have the original expansion tanks on them and both still look new. These water heaters are about 7 years old.....thanks in advance guys

Josh in ohio

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you use the proper potable water expansion tanks? Whats the model number of the new one that failed?

If you used a boiler expansion tank designed for a closed system, the oxygen in a open system would eat through it quickly.

Potable expansion tanks for DHW systems have a liner inside the tank similar to a milk jug.

pllckjsh

Reaction score
I just talked to the maintenance guy who replaced it he said the new tank is a Extrol 30 4.4 gal hot wat0001.....he said he got it from johnstone supply

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yep as I expected, you have the wrong type

Expect to pay 2.5X more for the correct tank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks