GE Whole House Water Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
I have a GE Whole House Water Filter - GNWH38F. It has worked great as a filter, but it has been very difficult to change the filter (release the pressure to take out the old filter). I had it installed by my plumber, which cost me multiples of the cost of the unit - but I was pleased to have filtered water and installing it was definitely beyond my skills. My plumber put a ball valve on each side of the unit.

I got the newer model, GXWH40L, which has the same dimensions, takes the same filter... and I imagine because the biggest difference is certain ways to change the water coming into it, that changing the filter will be easier.

So my question is... is swapping one unit for the other something I (with my limited plumbing skills) can attempt - or should I call in the pro? I don't need to sweat pipe this time around or do any soldering... it is held in with a compression fitting.

If I need or you think I should call in the pro to change this, I will... but thought I'd see if this falls into the "really easy" category first (primarily because the hard work has been done in that there is already a filter unit there now and I'm replacing one with the other).

Appreciate the advice, as always.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on your skill level...probably easy. Post a picture, and the pros can give you a better idea of any possible pitfalls. The biggest issue is the actual gap, after the old one is out. If it is different, you may be putting tension on the lines, and there may not be any give. It depends on how they are routed, and anchored.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks