Help finding 10 inch rough in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Annalise

Reaction score
Hello,
I am remodeling my bathroom and I am considering replacing my toilet. I currently have a Toto, I don't know how old it is but I can't seem to find the same model (I think it's at least 20 - 30 years old though so that's not surprising). The closest thing I find in appearance is the Toto Promenade, although so far I've only seen that in pictures.

The toilet I have is still good - the only issue I have is that I have to hold the handle down when I flush it. It's not a big deal though. Since I'm getting a new sink, tiles, etc, I thought it might be a good time to get a new toilet. The bathroom will be an art deco style, with subway tiles and classic fixtures. I'd like to find a toilet that fits in with the overall appearance. I'm having a hard time finding one that is small enough.

These are my requirements:

10 inch rough-in
a tank that is no more than 18 1/2 inches wide
a traditional / classic look

I like the appearance of the Toto Promenade and the Kohler Memoirs but I don't think that either comes with a 10 inch rough-in.

Here's my concern though - the toilet I have is, basically, still a good toilet. It has the overall look I want and it fits in the space. There are a couple of minor issues (needs a new seat; have to hold the handle down a few seconds to get it to flush properly and a few years ago I had a problem and had to replace a part inside and the handle - I can't remember what the issue was but it wasn't major, I actually fixed it myself with the guidance of the plumbing supply store). I don't want to get rid of a good toilet to end up replacing it with one I have problems with. This toilet has never clogged or backed up (in the almost 8 years I've lived here).

So - what's the best 10 inch rough in toilet out there that fits my needs? Or, should I just get a plumber to look at the handle issue and keep the one I've got?

Sorry for such a long post!

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When you are looking for a 10" rough toilet, you get to chose 1 item from your list...namely the 10" spec. Forget the rest of your list

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are several Toto toilets that use a Unifit adapter. These adapters for 14", 12", and 10" rough in sizes so these toilets will fit on those 3 sizes. Although not every Toto can use these adapters, there are enough styles that you should find one that will work for you. Toto is the only manufacturer that makes such an adapter. Kohler toilets have a general clogging problem, so if you get a Kohler, be sure to get a good plunger. You can find the Toto toilets mentioned link on the home page of this site.

TOTO had a Drake model in 10"
CST744EF.10
Also an Aquia
CST412MF.10

And of course any of the models that use the Unifit adapter which allows 10", 12", and 14"

Last edited by a moderator:

Annalise

Reaction score
Thank you both for replying. Are you familiar with the American Standard Cadet 3? It looks like it comes with a 10 inch rough in.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before deciding on an AS toilet, read the length thread dealing with AS quality problems.

Annalise

Reaction score
Thank you for directing me to that. I just read a lengthy discussion about the AS Cadet 3 with very mixed opinions. I also read a lengthy discussion about the Toto Aquia which seemed to be mostly positive. According to their website this style comes with a 10" rough in and the tank is a little less than 16" across. I'm not in love with the look of it (mostly I'm skeptical about the push button flush instead of the handle) but it's not bad looking and it might be the best toilet I can get to fit in the space, certainly seems to get better reviews (overall) than the Cadet.

I had no idea that finding a toilet would be so tricky!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the brands essentially adjust the depth of the tank to accommodate 10 or 14" rough-ins, i.e., either make the tank thicker or thinner. The only one that uses the same toilet for all three rough-ins is the Toto models that use the Uni-fit adapter. So, on many non-Toto toilets, a 10" rough-in will stick out as far into the room as a stock 12" one or more than a Toto. So, check total installed length, if that is a critical dimension for you...it can make a big difference.

The Aquia (and most dual-flush toilets) has a smaller water spot than some. This is so that the smaller flush can still empty the bowl. A big issue to some, no issue at all with others. Your results may differ.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I had a problem and had to replace a part inside and the handle - I can't remember what the issue was but it wasn't major, I actually fixed it myself with the guidance of the plumbing supply store).

THAT is probably the reason you have to hold the handle down when you flush it.

Annalise

Reaction score
quote; I had a problem and had to replace a part inside and the handle - I can't remember what the issue was but it wasn't major, I actually fixed it myself with the guidance of the plumbing supply store).

THAT is probably the reason you have to hold the handle down when you flush it.

I would think so too but it was actually like that before I replaced the part. I guess I figured it was just how the toilet is but this morning I read up on the problem and tightened the slack a bit in the chain and it seems to be flushing better (though still not perfect).

dapoppa

Reaction score
10" rough

We just had our toilet replaced a month ago as part of some renovations. The old toilet was a 12' rough but didn't fit too well because someone many years ago had added a second layer of sheetrock. Our plumber recommended going with a 10" rough AS Cadet III. What a gem! We still are amazed at how well it flushes. Everything's gone in 2 seconds flat. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

jfr121

Reaction score
Hello,
The toilet I have is still good - the only issue I have is that I have to hold the handle down when I flush it.
Thanks!

If the only problem you are having is having to hold the handle down when you flush it and you like the look of the toilet, then I would suggest having it fixed. I have a Kohler Champlain that is from the 70's and it would also require the handle to be held down to flush. After a few years with this problem and many parts replaced, the flapper was replaced with a genuine Kohler part and the problem was solved. Maybe that is all your Toto toilet needs to get it working correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks