Floor drain / cast iron to PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

n2learning

Reaction score
What you are seeing in the image is a 4" cast iron p-trap w/o the floor drain pipe and lid.
I am cleaning up the mess from some cowboy I mistakenly hired a year and a half ago.

...anyway, I want my floor drain back. I would prefer to use a PVC floor drain and pipe on top of the cast iron. Is it okay to do that? Or do I have to stick with cast iron?

Any suggestions on which brand or type to buy, as well as application tips would be very much appreciated!

View from side (ya see that broken pipe on the left?...the cowboy had this draining into the floor drain. That's what he was going to have me use for the toilet drain. It wasn't even the right type of PVC among many other things...)

n2learn-02.jpg

View from top

n2learn-03.jpg

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You can use PVC if you want to, just get a donut gasket that's goes from cast iron to PVC, get the wrong donut and they will not work.

I hope you don't plan to hook anything else up to that floor drain, this link shows some.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

n2learning

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll be sure to stop by my neighborhood plumbing store to get the proper donut gasket and drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks