Adding service extension before pressure tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

marrt

Reaction score
I have a new detached garage. I need to add service to the garage. I also have a huge problem with sediment and several sediment filters. I was hoping to connect my service before the sediment filters (I will also use this service to water the garden). However, the sediment filter sits before the pressure tank. I seem to recall, in the back of my old mind, that one should not add a service in front of the pressure tank. Is it correct that you should NOT add a service between the well and pressure tank?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Partly it depends on where the check valve is. If you connect prior to the check valve, you will only get water while the pump is running and the pressure will be uncontrolled. The other factor is if you do connect after the check valve, every time you use the water, it will be coming out of the pressure tank, and thus "backflushing" the filter.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Really, it's not a good idea to have a filter before the pressure tank. If the filter gets plugged up, you could have a situation where your pump will never shut off.

marrt

Reaction score
The check valve is on top of the pump in the well. Actually, backflushing the filter would be positive thing in most cases. My filter fills up very quick. None of the water from this extension would be used for drinking. It would be used to water my garden and general shop use (e.g., wash my hands mostly).

marrt

Reaction score
Really, it's not a good idea to have a filter before the pressure tank. If the filter gets plugged up, you could have a situation where your pump will never shut off.

Good point. I going to remove this filter. Too risky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks