(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Main h/w tank is 65 feet away...i as

Question Main h/w tank is 65 feet away...i as

I was working on this a long time ago; but life happened and it had to be put on the back burner.My furthest cold outlet is in the kitchen . The one she uses the most.I want quicker hot water @that faucet, we are wasting to much well water.Can i get a plumber ..here to make me a diagram----- of what i can install in this delema.,Using my present w/h in the mix,to get this done right. I was a plumber at one time,am retired and time dims ones memory.I can do whatever a good diagram install calls for.. . I need it [diagram] placed on this thread!----- please make it inexpensive to a point. And her and I are the only ones here anymore.If you want a fee i could do that .
    please --every time i run this faucet it takes almost a gallon before it i gets warm. When we bought the house there was a huge non-working heater midway, to the kitchen faucet,in the basement. It was cut up and taken out .and never replaced.....f.y.i. Thank you for taking the time to help me on this bob s
    Last edited by bob s; 04-18-2014 at 01:54 PM.

btt btt btt

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds like a recirc pump would help out.
    I like to run a 1/2" line back to the water heater, with an aquastat that cuts off the pump when the return is warmed.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Any recirc system will work, a dedicated return line is the best. YOu can use the cold water line as a return, but then that leaves you with at least warm water in the cold line. The simplest one to install (by no means the least expensive) that I've seen is from RedyTemp...should take you all of about 10-minutes IF you have a place to plug it in under the sink.

If you have the height, and can run a return line properly, gravity can do it for no power consumption. But, your slope must be proper and steep enough, and that may not be possible over 65'. The only other way is a pump, OR, to put a small WH under the counter, fed by the hot line. It will provide hot if sized properly until the hot arrives from the main tank.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Any recirc system will work, a dedicated return line is the best. YOu can use the cold water line as a return, but then that leaves you with at least warm water in the cold line. The simplest one to install (by no means the least expensive) that I've seen is from RedyTemp...should take you all of about 10-minutes IF you have a place to plug it in under the sink.

If you have the height, and can run a return line properly, gravity can do it for no power consumption. But, your slope must be proper and steep enough, and that may not be possible over 65'. The only other way is a pump, OR, to put a small WH under the counter, fed by the hot line. It will provide hot if sized properly until the hot arrives from the main tank.
    This last lines of this paragraph here is the way i was thinking, Saw a titan tankless in a garage today .Its 110volt he says it works good but hardly anyone uses it.It was $175.00 .thanks all small tank under the floor /k sink, will do it 10 gallon or so??what do you think/? bob s

May i ask; I want a 4 gallon heater hooked up in series with my present house heater. What make would be the suggestion you would share with me what to get?? pm is ok---- if it is no-no on this forum thanks soon i want to get started bob s
    Last edited by bob s; 04-18-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: nother thought

btt btt/////////// redi temp to much money for me [retired]