Question on Draining Disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

same2you

Reaction score
I'm about to change the counter/sink/etc in my kitchen and would like to install a disposer. Unfortunately, the sink that was chosen has the smaller sink on the right, and that is where we want the disposer, but the current setup has the drain going into the floor on the right side of the cabinet (then along the ceiling in the basement to the main drainpipe). I've included a diagram of what the currnet layout is (not even knowing if it is code), and was hoping if someone could provide some advice on how to setup the drain with the disposer installed on the right side.

current.jpg

(Red line is the floor)

There's a drop ceiling in the basement, so it is easy enough to move the drain to the left side if needed... but should the P Trap remain in the ceiling below moving forward? Should the entire setup be changed?

Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Canada does have some strange code sections that allow the configuration you have...

I guess I like ours better where the trap would be in the cabinet...

same2you

Reaction score
ok then... it look like the easiest way for me to do this is to stick with our goofy Canadian code, but move it to the left (pictured below)... unless someone has a better idea to retrfit it (note that I will NOT be able to access the wall in behind the cabinet as it is brick (townhouse firewall). Just one more question... how much of a slope should I introduce into the horizontal connection between the disposer and the left sink (in blue)... if any?
same old.jpg

Cheers!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Minimum slope for a drain is 1/4" per foot. On a very short distance you don't have to get too precise, but definitely it must slope down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The disposal will act as a pump, and you want a baffel between the two sinks to prevent the disposal from pumping crud up into the other sink. If the sink does not have a vent, then I would move the p-trap to the cabinet and add an AAV off the arm to do the best you can with it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the sink does not have a vent, then I would move the p-trap to the cabinet and add an AAV off the arm to do the best you can with it.

Check to make sure that AAV's or Cheater Vents are allowed by code in your area.

same2you

Reaction score
I actually have what I believe is a vent further along the line in the basement ceiling (2nd ABS Pipe ties into the drain at a reverse angle then goes verticle), so couldn't I tap into that as a vent as shown in https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?1495-Basement-rough-in ? So NOW... it would look like this...

Vented.jpg

And actually.... in looking at this... should I completely remove the vent from its current location in the ABS before connecting it inside the cabinet, or can I leave it connected in both locations? I assume that it shoudl only be connected once (unlike how it's drawn) but hey... I'm the guy that was going to introduce an S Trap earlier on ;o)

(now I can see why plumbers charge so much ;o) )

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You are trying to make a loop vent but the p-trap is in the wrong place,

I was on a Canadian forum just the other day and they said loop vents aren't allowed there..

same2you

Reaction score
ughhh....

So is there a solution to this (besides moving to a new house) that would be within the ability of a guy that's handy?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do NOT even try to pipe it like you show in that drawing with the blue lines. There is so much wrong with it, that I wouldn't know where to start, and it would be "impossible" to make THAT system correct. IF they allow "P" traps under the floor, I would thing an AAV would be an improvement.

same2you

Reaction score
ok, no worries there. So assuming that I am moving forward with a setup similar to post 6, where would I put the AAV? I've read that it has to be installed higher than the drain, but beyond that I just don't know. Also, if I do install the AAV, should I disconnect the vent that is already connected to the line in the basement?

Sorry for all the questions...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since an aav can eventually wear out, you need to put it where it can be replaced when the time comes. It should go off the trap arm, as high up under the counter as you can get it and still unscrew it to replace without cutting things. Leave the existing vent. An AAV is a one-way air valve that will (or should!) only let air in. The whole goal of any vent to to prevent other draining operations from sucking your drain dry. In this case, the AAV would open to let air in, rather than sucking the trap dry. A full atmostpheric vent can also allow air to escape, like when you are draining a lot of water which can push air ahead of it. All of that is one reason why slope, trap arms, vents need to be installed properly, or stuff doesn't work well in the long-term.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ok, no worries there. So assuming that I am moving forward with a setup similar to post 6, where would I put the AAV? I've read that it has to be installed higher than the drain, but beyond that I just don't know. Also, if I do install the AAV, should I disconnect the vent that is already connected to the line in the basement?

Sorry for all the questions...

I would check your Ontario Code...

I Believe they will not allow aav's either...

If they do you would eliminate the trap under the floor and pot in something like this coming up with the p-trap connecting into it.

s-trapp-trapconversion.jpg

But I'm pretty darn sure what you will be doing is duplicating what you have moved over slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

same2you

Reaction score
Looks like Ontario is ok with the AAV provided that it is not feasable to use a conventional vent. So, just to make sure that what I am thinking in my head is what you are also thinking, here's another (and hopefully last) drawing...
AAV.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
7.5.9. Air Admittance Valves

7.5.9.1. Air Admittance Valve as a Vent Terminal
(1) Individual vents may terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve as provided in Articles 7.5.9.2. and 7.5.9.3.

7.5.9.2. Air Admittance Valves
(1) Air admittance valves shall only be used to vent,
(a) fixtures in buildings undergoing renovation, and
(b ) installations where connection to a vent may not be practical.
(2) The air admittance valves shall be located,
(a) above the flood level rim of the fixture it serves,

Given that the trap below the floor is allowed and is vented per your code an AAV in this application would not be allowed.

Also if it were allowed the AAV would have to stick up out of the counter above the rim of the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks