Sb1070

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thank goodness the judge had the sense to block some of this legislation.

They seem to forget that we (the British) once owned this place and now they have the cheek to expect me to carry papers showing my immigration status at all times!

If I'm not driving, why carry a driving license? Give us a break.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thank goodness the judge had the sense to block some of this legislation.

They seem to forget that we (the British) once owned this place and now they have the cheek to expect me to carry papers showing my immigration status at all times!

If I'm not driving, why carry a driving license? Give us a break.

The british never owned Arizona. That was owned by yet another monarchy that went into decline and lost territory.
There seems to be a trend here...

The part regarding carrying papers that was struck down but that is superseded by federal law anyway, immigrants are required under federal laws to carry their alien registration documents or other applicable records at all times under 8 USC sec.1304 and 8 USC sec. 1306.

So Ian if you don't want to get tossed into a holding cell with a bunch of illegals while they sort out your case I would comply with the law. Relying on lax enforcement is not a safe way of dealing with it...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
At least where I live, together with the twelve other colonies*, is all ancestral land to the British, and Her Majesty the Queen, so I choose to ignore you Redwood.

Article 9 of Jay's Treaty 1794 which was signed between His Britannic Majesty and the newly formed United States of America quite clearly says that: "It is agreed that British subjects who now hold lands in the territories of the United States (yep, that's me), and American citizens who now hold lands in the dominions of His Majesty (er...that be you), shall continue to hold them according to the nature and tenure of their respective estates and titles therein; and may grant, sell or devise the same to whom they please, in like manner as if they were natives and that neither they nor their heirs or assigns shall, so far as may respect the said lands and the legal remedies incident thereto, be regarded as aliens."

In any case, I'll risk the fine...less than 100 bucks.

* The colonies, whose territory ranged from what is now Maine (or as I prefer to call it the Province of Massachusetts Bay) to the north and Georgia to the south, were Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island.

500px-Map_of_territorial_growth_1775.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ummm Ian I don't think that you had the property in 1794...
Nor do I think it has been passed down to you as specified by the treaty..

I think I might have found where we last bloodied the brits nose and got a bit more land from them...
1838-39 The Aroostook War... You'd figured they'd have learned by then...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War

Well gladly take that $100 and apply it to the needs of our government...

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And your Government is needy.

The Aroostook war was not really a war but a confrontation that was skillfully negotiated by, and I admit, both the US and British Governments before tensions got out of control. Had it gone hot, however, I like to think that the British would have taken it all the way.

New York would still be called New York.

But I don't have high hopes that Washington DC would have stayed very long.

What I find most sad is that all this history is really about Englishmen fighting among themselves. The traitors decided they'd rather be known as Americans and the name stuck.

Yes, I know that many Amercians here now are not descendants of the English (the Irish for example) but, as usual, the rest just showed up when all the hard work had been done.

So I never point fingers at all Americans. I just like to tease those "American" descendants of my fellow countrymen who decided to commit treason against their King and Country.

Some of which, no doubt, live in Arizona and want to now limit illegal immigration at any expense (to other Federal priorities) when their Great Great Great Grandfathers themselves were very very illegal and criminals of the highest order. Treason.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yup Ian say what you want but we picked up 7,015 square miles of land...

As for traitors we stopped being subjects with that nice letter to Georgie where we said Bub Bye...

He was just a little thickheaded which I understand is typical and needed his nose sufficiently bloodied....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So, it's agreed.

SB1070 is a silly piece of legislation, because as history shows stopping people moving to the US in search of a better life does not work. Whether they enter legally or not. I should know. I'm English and I have a long memory.

The illegal entrants in question today just want to come to the US to work and send some money home.

British ancestors of Americans, however, wanted to do something much worse. Not only did they want to earn a living, they wanted to seize the country to govern themselves, illegally. They wanted to declare independence, illegally. And they didn't want to pay taxes to the Crown, illegally.

So the current situation with illegals now, in contrast to the past, is actually quite agreeable. These guys do not want to vote and, if you let them, they'll even pay you taxes.

If SB1070 does pass, it might be that Arizonan noses are in for a bloodying this time. We'll just have to wait and see.

But it's still amusing to see y'all forget your roots. And after just 230 years as well!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, here's the deal. We kicked out George, and he was too dumb to realize what a really good deal he could have had here. Now, as for the west, we stole the land from the Indians fair and square, and we are not giving it back. Mexico and Central America are great places with huge resources and lots of good people. They need to do a revolution DOWN THERE and they too can have a country just as great as the US.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
British ancestors of Americans, however, wanted to do something much worse. Not only did they want to earn a living, they wanted to seize the country to govern themselves, illegally. They wanted to declare independence, illegally. And they didn't want to pay taxes to the Crown, illegally.

But it's still amusing to see y'all forget your roots. And after just 230 years as well!

Well Ian Here's my take...

What it all boils down to is Henry VIII couldn't keep it in his pants and he created the Church of England when the Pope wouldn't let him have an annulment from Catherine of Aragon.

As the church went through with it's on again off again ties with Rome divisions within the church were created.
Along came the Puritans persecuted by the crown first immigrating to the Netherlands then to New England...
George should have realized he was on thin ice from day one and not pushed his luck...

What it all boils down to is if Henry VIII had kept it in his pants the British Empire might still be strong...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My daughter and some of her friends, all caucasian "legal" residents, were pulled over one evening by an overzealous officer, and they were NOT driving, so they did NOT have their driver's licenses. He threatened to throw them into jail if they could not prove their identities and had a second patrol car for assistance. When she got home I immediately called the watch commander and asked if the patrol men were trying to add names and numbers to their black books. I also told him that since the car was registered to me, and she had the same address, it should have been apparent to any dummy, that she was a legal driver in it. Maybe you only carry your operator's license while you are driving, but the majority of peope have it with them at all times. If you are stopped for an offense, that would imply you were driving, and if you have your driver's license, or any other documentation in your billfold, (other than a $20.00 bill), that is all he needs. He WILL NOT pull you over just to SEE your driver's license. It's amazing how one judge and decide he/she does not agree with what possibly millions of voters enacted, and can nullify it. He/she does not even have to vote at the polls because she knows that her "vote" is the only one which is going to count anyway. By the way, how is England doing with HER aliens?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
England has a long history of welcoming immigrants, especially those from the colonies.

Americans, for instance, are always welcome to pay a visit (to see what they missed) and the Jamaicans, famously, were invited over to work and stay during the labor shortages of the 1950s. More recently we have Eastern Europeans moving to the UK as is their right under the European Union.

So there are lots of Polish plumbers and you don't have to wait a week to get your leak fixed any more. And legally working there, they are licensed and do a job up to code too.

Looking around the US, I see a lot of second-generation Koreans and Vietnamese here, so the US has obivously welcomed immigrants before as well. I wonder what has changed? War perhaps?

The simple fact of the matter is that the US is too big and underpopulated. You need to fill it with people, to maximize its potential.

I would understand completely your concerns, if the US Government provided essential basic services to people such as healthcare, education and a decent unemployment benefits at the taxpayers' expense. But it doesn't, not even to Americans born and bred. It's all private. So what's the problem? Illegals cannot sponge off the system because there isn't a system to sponge off of here. Work or perish. What's wrong with letting other people be a part of that?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The news reports we get are that the British national healthcare system is an abject failure and will be scrapped.

Cookie

Reaction score
Some of the people who are here in the US on work visa's need to have better background checks done. Some are here in the US who have criminal backgrounds and continue their criminal activities here. Some look for marriage, and will do anything so they can stay.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I visited...I left....gas prices too high
English friends moved to the US, raised 4 kids
Decided to move back home to Merry Ole England after kids were older
Once there they could not wait to get back to the USA

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right.

You can get Trex in the US which makes it worth the visit.

Just to think, in the UK we make our decks out of cedar or boring old pressure treated lumber.

The first thing I did when I got here was get a Trex deck.

The American dream.....let's just hope it isn't short lived.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm quite impressed with it so far.

I built a very small deck using a hybrid of PTL and Trex. I wish I had used cedar as well, but did not think at the time.

My structure is PTL, as well as my railings (aluminium ballisters). The handrail is Trex and the boarding is Trex. Fence posts are PTL.

So far, (a month) the Trex has been great. But some of the PTL (fence posts mainly) have cracked a little in the heat as they have dried out, and even though I put a waterproofer on them. The Trex looks as good as new. For railings, especially, it's going to beat the PTL. The boarding....we'll see.

If Trex does not work, I'll be disappointed. There's not much else here to stick around for. :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks