Toto Carolina one piece

Users who are viewing this thread

Kimster

Reaction score
So, while I was destroying the bathroom the other day, I accidentally dropped my hammer and it just nicked the toilet. Unfortunately, that nick turned into a crack and now I need a new toilet.

I have some issues with space and need something along the same size as what I had, so the Carolina seems like the perfect fit. I know everyone here is all about the Toto but how come their tanks aren't lined with styrofoam? I don't like them to sweat.

The toilet I have is a one piece American Standard 6 L flush that we bought 10 years ago because we broke the old one that came with the house (it always clogged anyways). The AS has been great. No clogs or other problems and it has a lined tank.

So what's up with the Totos?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A few of the Totos come with a lined tank. This is normally only a problem with homes that have VERY cold incoming water or ones that are flushed frequently (or have a leaking valve, so they run contantly or frequently). The reason for this is, as opposed to older, high volume toilets, that essentially none of them empty the tank when you flush any more, so that means there is both little water coming in and it gets mixed with the water in the tank (which often is room temperature), so it usually ends up above the dew point, and not needing any insulation to prevent it from condensing. The 1.28g flush versions are even better, since the incoming water gets mixed with even more in the tank (it empties less, but is usually the same size) But, if say you are on a deep well, the house is not air conditioned, or you end up flushing the toilet a lot so the water can't warm up in between, then either an insulated tank (doesn't always work - insulation only slows the temp change, doesn't stop it), or a tempering valve to make it warmer is called for.

Kimster

Reaction score
Ahh, good to know. I do have air conditioning and I have noticed that the old toilet downstairs doesn't usually sweat, so maybe I won't have a problem upstairs either. I just assumed they all did and the lined tanks prevented it from happening. Thanks much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks