Confusing results

Users who are viewing this thread

606zpx

Reaction score
Well.......test result had run showed around 6 gpg of hardness (I may get a second test elsewhere to confirm)

I have experience soft water before and what I have is definitely not it. Our water leaves lots of spots and deposits on fixtures, etc. When bathing you get the squeaky type clean sensation rather than the smooth and slippery feel, etc.

According to the following website this is still "moderately hard".

http://www.wqa.org/sitelogic.cfm?ID=477

QUESTION: I thought I wanted soft water, but with a 6gpg level is enough gain to be worth the expense and trouble? Note that I already have my plumbing in and was about to size the softener.

Based on grain capacity a 1cuft softener would be plenty but I think this may not have enough SFR for the house (2 regular baths, 2 people, 3 dogs, wash boat and car at times, sprinkle lawn at times--unsoftened of course).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
As you found 6 gpg is considered moderately hard. Many people with similar water choose to soften and many do not. Softening will improve many things--less water spotting and make cleaning easier to list two. It will also extend the life of plumbing fixtures. My personal opinion is that it is difficult to make the case in strictly economic terms that softening in your circumstances will provide a return on investment so I think you need to decide based on your own preferences whether it is "worth the expense and trouble".

606zpx

Reaction score
Good reply.

I am not worried about the economics as much as I wonder if there will be a significant enough improvement in quality of life to warrant softening.

Quality of life insofar as less spotting, easier cleaning, etc. I guess what I am asking.....is there a tangible difference in softening 6gpg water?

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Quality of life insofar as less spotting, easier cleaning, etc. I guess what I am asking.....is there a tangible difference in softening 6gpg water?

In my opinion -- YES. If I were in your situation I would soften the water.

606zpx

Reaction score
Anybody else care to stop arguing amongst themselves and offer an opinion:p

.....if your water were 6gpg would you get a softener.

Money not being the primary consideration.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anybody else care to stop arguing amongst themselves and offer an opinion:p

.....if your water were 6gpg would you get a softener.

Money not being the primary consideration.

Yes,
There would be a build up of hardness even at the 6, be it slower than if it was at say 10 but still a build up.

Also with a move from 6 to 0 you will be using less of the cleaning items around the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks