replacing main, expansion loop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle38

Reaction score
I'm in Bothell, WA, currently replacing the main between the meter and house. I plan to use type L soft copper, probably sleeved with some closed cell foam.

The run is about 70ish feet, with a couple of bends; up a rise and around the foundation. Is an expansion loop necessary? or will the bends take up any expansion and contraction?

Any recommendations on a place to get a 100 foot roll of type L soft at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't put in an expansion loop.......

Not sure where to buy the copper down there but you'll probably end up paying $450-$500 for 100' of type 'L' soft copper while you'd pay about $100 for 100' of 3/4" pex....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would go with 1" PVC. 3/4" copper over that much distance will lose too much pressure and flow due to friction, and 3/4" PEX is smaller inside diameter than copper so the loss would be even greater.

Seattle38

Reaction score
I've looked into all the options; I don't want any joints and I don't want plastic. The wife has a wicked sense of taste and the last thing I need after installing a new main is "babe, the water tastes funny."
Avoiding that is worth the extra $$. I plan on using 1", not 3/4.

Now, just trying to figure out how to best protect the pipe from rocks and roots etc. I plan to wrap it with closed cell insulation and bed the main in sand. Any other thoughts??

I think I found a pretty good deal online for 100' of one inch type L, $385

http://kscdirect.com/item/L+COIL+1X100/JOHN+M+FREY+COMPANY_1+X+100+FT+COIL+TYPE+L+COPPER+TUBE%0A

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks