loosing pressure sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

jthomsenrn

Reaction score
jthomsenrn@gmail.com I live in the Adirondacks of NY known for confusing water problems. I have a 600 ft well with an old 2hp pump at 380 feet down a 6 in casing runing into the house. Were not in a drought and i dont think the water tabel dropped but the pressuer switch keeps tripping. It will reset manualy without difficulty and water will be available, only once and a while will I get a spit or sputter of air. I will go days of regular usage without any difficulty then the next day with mild usage it it will trip several times. Ive had a well company test all the switches, and pressure tank and they said the well is dry I need a completly new system. How do I test the pressure switch or tank? If my well is dry why is some days good others not? Any other suggestions?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did they lower the pump to the bottom of the well? You obviously have some water at 380 feet, so there must be more at 480 feet and 580 feet. At a minimum you can set the pump lower.

As the previous poster said you need to know the static water level in the well (It is better than 380 feet or you would have no water) and you need to know how long it takes for the well to refill once it is pumped down ( that is your recovery rate)

A 6 inch well that deep holds hundreds of gallons of water between 380 feet and the bottom of the well. Unless you are using the well for irrigation you should have enough water as long as the recover rate isn't too low.

-rick

Last edited:

jthomsenrn

Reaction score
I checked and ended up changing the pressure switch and line and the one way valve. No change, it filled the tank to 50lbs, i truned on the water it lowered and never automaticaly turned the pump on. I now need to manually override the pressuer switch to get the pump to fill the water tank. The pressure is now just hanging around 36lbs in the water tank. Can I test the static waterlevel with the pump in place? Do I just drop a weighted line down and pull it up and maesuer to the water mark? How do I do a recovery test, I've run a hose right after the water tank and drained it with everything else in place I did it 4 times, twice the pressure switch tripped and shut everything down and twice the pump was able to keep up for about 30 min? I'm tring to get estamates for lowering the pump, getting a new pump as mine is about 30 yrs old abd possibly hydrofracturing the well. any thoughts? Oh yeah I have very very hard water ?54 gtts but no treatment in the house yet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks