Recommend best drain/overflow assembly for new tubs?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanaka

Reaction score
I'm building a house and putting in four Lasco one-piece fiberglass tub/shower units. I just want the drain/overflow assemblies to be ultra reliable and worry free.

Does a decent trip lever style one really exist? My experience is that the levers always get sticky and finicky and don't totally stop the tub after a while. Pop up/toe activated sounds good, but I've never used one.

Pointers to specific brand and model, and online sellers would be great!

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Cable operated ones are getting popular, but if anything happens to it, you have to pull the tub or cut an access to get to the mechanisms. The basic lift to open/push to close are the most reliable and easy to install.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I only use brass waste and overflows such as Gerber. If you occasionally clean and grease the stopper you will have no problems. I would stay away from plastic ones.

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
Hah, that's what I thought!

I knew there had to be a reason besides material costs that the brass ones cost so much (and that the big boxes don't stock many of them...).

I was planning to go brass, but I just couldn't justify it beyond "it feels better." ;-)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Cost and lack of demand. Ten years from now, (when the brass ones which have not been periodically lubricated and have "frozen" in place because of lack of use due to everyone taking showere), the plastic ones will still be working smoothly.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I have yet to come across a "frozen" stopper, however I have replaced many face plates. I have also replaced many plastic units that are plain junk...I have yet to find one that I think is worth trying.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
W&O

hj is right the brass will get sticky, but thats because the tub is only used for showers. Only two screws and you can take the plunger out to clean and lub.
I've seen them both for a lot of years and my choice would still would be Gerber or Gerber like tub wastes.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I agree they do get sticky and I have even had to lightly sand one because of lack of use.

I have two problems with the plastic one's;

First is the trusting the connection on the bottom of the tub they all seem flimsy and cheap. However I have great luck with 2" pvc shower strainers...but they seem to be of better quality.

Second, I don't like the idea of a desanco or slip joint in a ceiling. With the brass I screw a pvc female adapter on the bottom of the t and install the drain ridgid. My track record is 100% with no problems..so why change?

Although I can't wait to see a 10 year old pvc w&o.

sanaka

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and advice. I've been looking around.

These look like nice brass tub D&O's. But $200 is multiples what I ever would have thought to spend on one (and I need four).

And these (scroll down for sch. 40 ABS w/ brass trims) look like nice plastic ones. Again, more than I thought could be spent on such an item, but I can see spending it for something good.

Lowe's has similar ones that look perhaps decent enough for around $40, but they are PVC, hence not compatible with my ABS DWV system.

Which while I'm on that thought: my whole DWV system is ABS. I'm obviously trusting that to work well for the long term, so I think I can feel comfortable with a glued plastic D&O that's sch 40, not the $8 ultra cheez blowmolded dealies.

All the better quality D&O's at **************.com, linked above, are cable operated. So I guess they are popular as hj said. I've never used one. Are they nice? Reliable? Even though I will have reasonable access to behind the tubs, I prefer stone simple like a push-pull or touch-toe, where the whole of the stopper mechanism is right there in the drain. Could these cable operated ones be fitted with a push pull stopper? Would it be easy like just removing the cabled stopper and screwing in the other one?

Otherwise, I'm back to searching for a good quality, push-pull/touch-toe style D&O assembly.

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

sanaka

Reaction score
Um, sorry if I violated forum policy by trying to link to an online plumbing supply seller... the forum software appears to have censored the URLs.

Well, the gist is there. The good ABS D&O's w/ brass trims are ~$100.

All your further comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Finnegan

Reaction score
I have used a Kohler trip lever, brass, a few times with no problems. I am not sure of a model number. HD carries them though.

sanaka

Reaction score
Well guess what. I got 4 touch toe, ABS D&O kits from Home Despot for $13 each. The brass drain part that you see in the tub seems substantial enough. The overflow plate is kinda cheezy chromed plastic, and the stopper mechanism is so-so. The ABS shoe and overflow elbow are, well... ABS, like the rest of the whole DWV system, and so will solvent weld into that DWV system.

How I figure it is the single hole plate and the stopper are easily replaceable with better ones. Or with the cheezy ones every year or two at HD or Lowe's. It would be different if I was into high-end for bathrooms. Never having to fish out a slimy stopper or have a sticky lever is a big draw ;)

Peace,
Sanaka

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks