(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How far from a window can a vent stack be? UPC Code

Default How far from a window can a vent stack be? UPC Code

Hi all,

I am new here. Hope someone here can answer my question. I am constructing a bathroom within the existing footprint of my home. I am wondering how far from a window a vent stack can be. There is a window nearly directly below where I want to vent. The vent will of course be above the roof, but I need to know how far from the edge of the house it can be. The reason I am concerned is that I have a clay tile roof, which is nearly impossible to walk on. I would like to be install the flashing for the vent by standing on a ladder leaned against the house. But if I get too far away from the roof's edge I cannot do this. Do any codes in California prohibit me from having a vent poke through the roof, say 2-3 feet from the edge of my roof? My city uses California code and doesn't have extra rules.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio4791 View Post
    Hi all,

I am new here. Hope someone here can answer my question. I am constructing a bathroom within the existing footprint of my home. I am wondering how far from a window a vent stack can be. There is a window nearly directly below where I want to vent. The vent will of course be above the roof, but I need to know how far from the edge of the house it can be. The reason I am concerned is that I have a clay tile roof, which is nearly impossible to walk on. I would like to be install the flashing for the vent by standing on a ladder leaned against the house. But if I get too far away from the roof's edge I cannot do this. Do any codes in California prohibit me from having a vent poke through the roof, say 2-3 feet from the edge of my roof? My city uses California code and doesn't have extra rules.
    Someone from your area will probably chime in soon but in most cases you need to be 3' away.

Thanks Doherty, 3 feet shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully there is someone from California out there who can verify.

There should be no reason why you cannot exit directly above/through the wall, which would place it the distance of the eave from the edge.

906.1 Vent shal terminate not less than 6" above the roof nor less than 1 foot from any vertical surface.

I interpret "vertical surface" meaning such surface rising above the roof, not the edge of the roof. Never had the occasion, so I don't know if that interpretation is correct.

906.2 Vent shall terminate.....at least 3 feet above any operable door or window.