Does this toilet bend need replacing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet that tub is cast iron........they will not break easily with a small hammer......A big sledge and they will come apart but it is very messy and the porcelin shards are like glass and very sharp. If you can get it out in one piece your way better off.....

I broke one up at home with an 18lb sledge. Covered it with a moving blanket to contain the schrapnel......and they are very heavy......even in pieces......

Last edited:

Kimster

Reaction score
Thanks Rich. I think we were going to try to get it out in one piece. The plumber is coming on Friday and I'm hoping he can cap the plumbing in the bathroom so he can remove the sink and toilet (which I broke accidentally by grazing it with said hammer) and maybe we can roll the tub onto it's side and use some kind of dowel system to roll it out the door. Heck, they got a 400 lb safe down the stairs at one of our friends, why not a tub?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Reasonable" is in the eyes of the beholder. You could run into a "flat rate" plumber who has a specific charge for EACH item, or one who does it time and material who can do many things for a single "one hour" charge. Sometimes it is the difference between a $2,000.00 water heater installation, (which one of my "new" customers paid before meeting me), or a $700.00 one (which it should have been). I always remove the tub in one piece, and someday, when I get older, I may need a helper to assist me.

Last edited:

Kimster

Reaction score
Thanks hj, you sound like a pretty strong and/or a very creative person to be able to remove a 200-400 lb tub on your own. Wish I could say the same. It's really hard to get a handle on rates because of the difference in how people charge. We'll see what the plumber I called has to say tomorrow. When I had my hot water tank replaced a couple of years ago, I paid $900, so not too bad. I don't think I would have entertained 2K for that job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks