How Long Will One Last?

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
I'd like the thoughts of some of you "seasoned" professionals:

I have a water well which was dug in 1978. At the time of installation a Square D 40/60 pressure switch was installed near the tank which is underneath the house about 80 feet from the well itself. This setup has functioned flawlessly for 32 years (this well is used only for the sprinkler system, washing cars, washing house, etc.). The only things I have replaced during the 32 years were:

1- about 1988 I installed the older type water tank with a captive air tank
2- about 1985 I replaced the 1 hp pump
3- in 1995 I replaced the 1 hp pump again (it's still running)

But, I'm curious about the pressure switch. It's never been replaced! It just keeps working. How long do these things last?

What is the likelyhood of the pressure switch contacts sticking and the pressure building to a point where some damage is done? Even if I replace the switch, a new one could still fail prematurely. After 32 years, do I just let it go OR is some preventive maintenance in order?

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

TVL

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That switch is probably better than any new one you could purchase. They made things better back then. Just make sure you have a pressure relief valve in the system and don't fix it if it's not broken.

TVL

Reaction score
That switch is probably better than any new one you could purchase. They made things better back then. Just make sure you have a pressure relief valve in the system and don't fix it if it's not broken.

Thanks ValveMan!

Well. I do NOT have a pressure relief valve in my system ............... that's what got me to thinking. Would you be willing to recommend a relief valve or post a link to a good one?

My pump cuts out now at approximately 58 PSI. What PSI rating relief valve should I get for my system .......... 75 PSI (more or less) ???

I will get one installed pronto!

Thanks again!

TVL

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks