Amtrol (digital) Pump Control Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

chazman

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with using Amtrol on well pump setup ?
This product seems like way more reliable and easier to adjust (but pricey at about $160). It seems like converting from points/condenser to electronic ignition on old cars, reliability wise. But I am not sure if I can use this kind of digital switch to turn on/off my Goulds 1 hp jetpump (which is actually above the ground and pressurizes the bladder tank). I've never heard about using digital controller/switch from any of my neighbors (who all have one well/pump setup) nor from the pump guy who installed my well pump.
Please give you thoughts on this.

Here is the link. Please give your opinion!

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/AmtrolrMC10043.pdf

Thanks.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
On the face of it, it seems like a good product but there are not enough of them in the field yet to be able to make a valid assessment as to how reliable they are. Let's face it a standard contact/diaphragm pressure switch is a pretty reliable piece of equipment and will normally last many thousands of cycles. Besides which the cost of the old standard is way way less than the Amtrol switch.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If you wire a good quality contactor into the circuit of a normal pump switch, you would be under 100$ and have perhaps a million cycle potential.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I tested some of those switches. I couldn't get any of them to last very long. They took them off the market, made some changes, then brought them back. But I think now you can only get one with a tank kit like the wellx1.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Look at the previous post where the guy has a 40 year old switch still working. Oversize the contact rating on your switch for long life.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I tested some of those switches. I couldn't get any of them to last very long. They took them off the market, made some changes, then brought them back. But I think now you can only get one with a tank kit like the wellx1.

I don't think you can either. At least I can't find the switch alone in the Amtrol catalog

chazman

Reaction score
Look at the previous post where the guy has a 40 year old switch still working. Oversize the contact rating on your switch for long life.

My current switch is Square D P/N 9013FSG2M4.
Is there beefier, oversized contact rating, replacement switch for that?
Also, which website/store would you recommend for ordering pump control switch?
Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My current switch is Square D P/N 9013FSG2M4.
Is there beefier, oversized contact rating, replacement switch for that?
Also, which website/store would you recommend for ordering pump control switch?
Thanks.

If you are having problems with your pressure switch, you need to figure out the problem. Either the pump is cycling on and off to much, the amp load is more than the switch can handle, you have ants in the pressure switch, loose connection, or just a bad switch.

BrookeTheBuilder

Reaction score
Website
cayugacountryhomes.com
Be careful with the Amtrol Digital Control

We installed these units for a few years. The first year they were great. Suddenly, we started getting calls from clients and had a 100% failure rate. Last night I got an after hours call, 2nd failure for that client. It cost us a few thousand in emergency fixes and water cleanups and Amtrol would not reimburse us a dime. Lately they agreed to send a few of the new units, but we still have to replace them.

Be careful what you represent to the client and how you choose to warranty if you try these.

Personally, i'm checking into the constant pressure system noted in the forums, looks like good old reliable mechanicals.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Motor starters, contactors, are all made the same for the past 75 years, and will continue to be so in the forseeable future.

Anyone using that electronic switch is in an unpaid research program. Mechanical pressure switches have their working parts right in your face, are incredibly reliable and can be serviced if so desired. The singular downside is ants in the contacts, which can be resolved with diatomceous earth on the box and leads incoming.

Lets not allow the pressure switch business become like the pacific rim "designers" that changes our media player types each 2 years and creates the grand canyons of defunct vcr's, tv's and dvd players.

Planned obsolescence is bad enough. Designed obsolence is a crime.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
you need to figure out the problem
the amp load is more than the switch can handle

If you have a DVM, acceptable contact resistance at rated current comes out to less than 30 millivolts across closed contacts. More than 100 mV = bad.
Bolted or push-on connections should come in at less than 30 mV.

There is also some kind of contact goop that lowers contact resistance but I don't know how long it lasts.

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Stay away from the new technology Constant Pressure pumps. . . they are also new troublesome technology! Consider a cycle stop valve, it's all mechanical, invented by a well driller and it works. It extends the life of your pump, pressure switch and tank bladder. It gives you constant pressure while delivering a variable flow. . .and it's simple. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/index2.html.

NOTE: It was brought to my attention that the old and dependable Square "D" Pressure Switches have been replaced with a new version. The new version no longer has the old wire keeper for the contact points. They now have a plastic keeper and it eventually heats up causing the points to become out of alignment and in many cases fall off altogether. Beware new technology is not always better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks