Drain cleaning using a snake and a high pressure water jet a friend lent to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have booked a local plumbing firm to clean my drains, some of which have become slow.

What can I expect?

I have 1950s cast iron pipes with only one clean out on the main stack that is probably stuck solid.

I have a floor drain they could go through.

What exactly will they do?

And will it make any difference?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian if they need to get that stuck cleanout plug out it will only take a second with a hammer and chisel...

They will examine the symptoms and determine the best way to gain access to the plug and take care of it for you...

Thats what they are paid to do... How long of a guarantee do they give you? did you ask?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any good plumber or drain cleaner will know all about how to remove or cut out old frozen

clean out plugs, or to remove and reinstall any p traps as needed to get access to be

able to run power snakes though drains to clear out crud buildup sticking to pipes

and i am glad you are doing this without using harmful drain cleaners

what you might do is ask for some type of flat price to snake out all the drains at one

time many company's have such a price that makes it cheaper then a drain by drain price

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can expect that they will know HOW to clean the drains properly, although I prefer to clean drains when they are "stopped" not "slow", in most cases.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's the issue HJ. Most of my drains are slow and none are stopped so I am questionning how they will propose to do the work.

I define a slow drain as one that does not clear a faucet on full.

British drains do that with ease.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian you and i agree !

Whenever i finish clearing a drain i fill the sink to the top and with the water running

full out i open the drain and i expect it all to go down in a few seconds that is how

i test to make sure i did a good complete job !

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Right, I had my tub, vanity, kitchen and laundry tub snaked. They clear better now.

But the floor drain outside the basement now backs up when the washer discharges.

What now?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am going to buy my own snake after this one is done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks