Are the any PVC shower drains that can be installed from above?

Users who are viewing this thread

resq944

Reaction score
Here is my problem, I live in a condo with no access from below. I have already installed a 2" trap below the new sub floor.

My question is how do I install the drain for the shower base?

I can drill a hole in the sub floor and stub it out from above but then how do I cut the stub to the correct height and glue the drain to the stub at the correct height, then install the mortar base and the shower receptor at the right height so that when i screw down the drain it all fits correctly.

Are their any PVC drains that install from above so that I can just drill the hole in the floor, stub it out, lay in the receptor on a mortar base and use and inside pipe cutter to cut it correctly then just glue the drain from above.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If you are using a preformed base, the drain is assembled to it and then placed on the floor over a riser that has been precut to the proper length as measured from the base. Then a rubber seal is inserted to make the connection.

resq944

Reaction score
So if I read you right,

I do the follwoing

1 Estimate correct stub hight. cut stub.
2. Install drain on base
3 Lay mud
4. Put glue on drain and stub
5. Put shower receptor down.

Why question is , wont the mortar bed change the height you measure for the stub. and how can I glue up the drain and the stub quickly enough? I guess I only get one shot at this.

Is there a better way?

Sulconst2

Reaction score
can you cut the subfloor past the pan to get in the bay of the drain? if you can then set the pan with drain installed level into the mud. put some roofing nails above the lip to hold it down. then connect your drain from below. if not then make sure the trap is supported before you set the pan. hj's idea is with a compression type drain. not the glue type you are planning.

resq944

Reaction score
I think Im going to use a schluter shower tray and drian, they can be done no prob from above I guess. I dont see an easy way to do this and I already have a schluter shower tray that I didnt use upstairs. Oh well tile showers look nicer any way.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1 Estimate correct stub hight. cut stub.
2. Install drain on base
3 Lay mud
4. Put glue on drain and stub
5. Put shower receptor down.

Why question is , wont the mortar bed change the height you measure for the stub. and how can I glue up the drain and the stub quickly enough? I guess I only get one shot at this.

Is there a better way

1. Do not ESTIMATE the height. Calculate it exactly by figuring out exactly how the pan will set.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, if the pan is not designed to sit right on the floor, i.e., the bottom is not flush with the front apron.
4. Throw the glue drain away and use one with a rubber gasket.
5. Yes.

If the base needs a mud support, then you also have to figure out how to support it level until the "mud" dries. Do not try to use a glue drain if you cannot insert the pipe from below AFTER the base has been set.

resq944

Reaction score
Thanks HJ

Do I need to seal the drain in any way or is the o-ring enough? That setup just doesn't seem very watertight. I'm still leaning toward using the schluter, for other reasons as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks