New construction well pump recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Designie

Reaction score
Hello,

I am building a new home with a well that has a pumping depth of 220 feet and produced 6 gpm at that depth. The house is going to have 3-1/2 baths. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pump system.

I read a little bit about the Grundfos constant pressure system and that seems like a good product. Or would it be better to stay with a normal pump and big pressure tank set-up.

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should read the sticky thread from above or here is the link. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?30465-Constant-Pressure-or-CP-Systems

Also do a search for SQE or CU301, which is the Grundfos model number of the pump you are talking about.

Then 6 GPM is not enough for 3 1/2 baths at the same time. How deep is it to static water level? What size casing in the well? Could be that you could pump more than 6 GPM for shart periods of time.

Designie

Reaction score
The static water level is 30 ft, and it is a 5 in casing. I didn't think the 6gpm sounded very high, would having a larger pressure tank help?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is set at 220’, an your static level is at 30’, then you have 190’ of standing water in the well. This should give you at least 250 gallons of water to use before the well drops to 6 GPM.

A larger pressure tank won’t help. It actually becomes an additional load for a low producing well.

With that size house I would use about a 15 GPM pump. You will be able to use a peak demand of 15 GPM for about 20 minutes at a time. This will take about a 1.5 HP, 13 to 18 GPM submersible pump. If this is not enough water, then you need a storage tank and a booster pump.

Designie

Reaction score
OK, I got a quote for the well pump equipment from a local dealer here in Michigan. I believe they have called out a 10gpm pump (Myers? MYR10KT10221T 1HP 230V). I assume that is a 10gpm. They have also called out a 32 gal pressure tank, a 40/60 pressure switch and 1 3/4" 6gpm flow control.

Does this sound alright?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump will be able to do 14 GPM, and you may need that much with so many baths. I would use a CSV1Z instead of the 6 GPM flow regulator. The CSV is a variable regulator that will allow you to use up to 14 GPM as long as the water in the well doesn’t pull down all the way. Then I would use something like a Cycle Sensor to protect the pump from dry running. Just in case all three baths were going at the same time for to long, and pulled the water down.

Designie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, valveman. I am just learning this stuff, so bear with me. I'm just a freak when it comes to deciding anything and I always want to make sure I have the best set-up.

So this CSV adjusts the flow at start up and shut down as well? I read a little bit about it.

And the pump they have spec'd out foe me sounds OK?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump should work OK. I suggested a little larger pump, because with a CSV you can have as large a pump as you want, and the CSV will make it work like a small pump when needed.

Designie

Reaction score
So if I were to go with the CSV and a cycle sensor, where would I buy that? Also, is there information with it as to how it is installed with the other equipment?

I would like to tell the equipment supplier that I intend to use it, just so they know why I wouldn't want the flow control.

Also, should I maybe think about a larger, 1-1/2 hp pump instead of the 1hp that they quoted me?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks