Calculation for heat supply to a given area

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
Is there a tabel, nomogram, or some directive regarding standards for supplying heat to a given square foot area or cubic foot area of a room in a home?

I am wanting to supply adequate heat to a look-out basement in a home that is new construction, well insulated with a usable area of about 600 ft sq.

I have installed 2 six inch round duct supplies overhead (wasn't possible to run down the wall) about 12 ft apart to the area in question and have a return duct in place.

I am thinking about adding electric baseboard heat or a gas or electric fireplace to supplement as it would seem that the supply that I have is unlikely to be adequate. It is not possible to add additional duct work in the area.

Does anyone know of some rule of thumb or guide for calculating functional heat needed for a given area?

A vented or ventless gas fireplace would seem to fit the need well, since electric takes time to heat up and gas will be very quick.

Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any good heating/a/c contractor can do the necessary calculations. It is not rocket science, but neither is it a number you can pull out of wherever. Today, most guys will have the manual J on their laptop. You plug in square feet, ceiling height, types of insulation, square inches of glass, climate ranges for your locale....you get the idea.

Like I say, it is fairly easily done, but if you just guess and screw it up, you will be uncomfortable and wasting energy, forever!

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Do a Google search for heat loss calculation and you will get several hits. Most will be for a software package or a short period of time on a fee basis but there are some free ones. The more information (and the better the information) the closer you will come to the proper BTU requirement. Use of any "rule of thumb" will most likely vastly overestimate the requirements.

As stated in the other thread, don't even consider a ventless gas heater option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks