Bad smelling water after new well pump insatllation

Users who are viewing this thread

wellwater

Reaction score
i just had a new pump installed last friday; immediately after this instillation, the water smelled like some type of chemicals, almost like paint thinner or varnish, and when I tasted it, I immediately had to spit it out. does this make sense to anyone? what could it be? It is now tuesday, and the smell is still there. If i get my water tested, what do I have it tested for, and how can this be corrected? Thanks

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Have it tested for hydro-carbons. A smell like you describe is not a good thing. Do not drink or even wash your hands until it is tested.

Joshua342

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. They came out and cleaned the well with some loud machine, and installed a new pump. It smells just like varnish or paint thinner or PB Blaster. It's been 4 days of running lots of water through the system and the odor is still there. Did you ever solve the problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
It's been 4 days of running lots of water through the system and the odor is still there.
Have you been running hoses 24 hours per day for 4 days? Make the flow as big as you can, but don't dump it into the septic. Too much water is bad for the septic. You could run a hose from the drain valve on the pressure tank, as well as the outdoor hose spigots. I am not a pro.

If your well is bottom-feeding, running water could replace the water below the pump, but there could be water above the pump that is holding the chemical. Recirculating part of the water you are pumping back into the top of the well casing could be useful to help replace that water too.

After well work, it is good to sanitize your well and plumbing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my writeup for that. It is written primarily for a bottom-feeding deep well, but it could be adapted to others. I am thinking that the well flushing that you do as part of sanitizing could serve double-duty for you.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You could just put one of those leak sensors in the overflow pipe. Then you can also control it from your phone.
There is an overflow pipe? How about running that water to a 5-gallon bucket, and putting a float switch in the bucket?
https://www.sjerhombus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/9500104F-PMP-WEB.pdf

30PMPD2WP supposedly could handle up to 2 HP 230 volts.
So could the 10PMPD2WP. The 30* has a 30 ft cord, and the 10* has a 10 ft cord.

2 means 2 pole I think, but check that.
PD means pump-down... the kind you would need to open a circuit when the water rises.

WP at the end means with plug. WOP would be without plug. I don't know what kind of plug.

If you went this route, do some research to make sure.

Last edited:

Midriller

Reaction score
Is it Chlorine from sanitizing, Vinegar? The only other thing we would use down a well is Muriatic acid f or cleaning screens (all are NSF certified) but i would contact your driller immediately.

Joshua342

Reaction score
We are in a rental, and only the landlord has been in contact with the well people. The pump and well gives water to 3 families in 2 buildings (One is the landlord's house next door to us). It's his well. The landlord told us that they could smell it a little too in their home next door to us, but they're hoping and thinking it will go away. We are more sensitive to chemicals than the average person. It's now been 11 days and it is about 50 - 70% better. I never ran anything more than the faucets and toilet indoors. We've been using a charcoal filter to remove the odor so we can drink it. It works pretty well.

Caitlin219

Reaction score
We’re having this same problem currently. New well pump on Sunday (old one was burnt out) have run the water for hours and there is still a solvent smell to it. If you let the water sit for a second the smell goes away.

Did either of you ever find a resolution?

Joshua342

Reaction score
We’re having this same problem currently. New well pump on Sunday (old one was burnt out) have run the water for hours and there is still a solvent smell to it. If you let the water sit for a second the smell goes away.

Did either of you ever find a resolution?

We just waited it out. We're chemically sensitive so we filtered the water until we moved out two months later. It just got a little better each week. It continued to get better. I never found out what was causing it, but with my experience with today's myriad of toxic chemically-laden products from China, I'm guessing that it's offgassing of some petroleum based portion of the new pump....or it is something the plumber used to install it, in which case you'd have to ask him.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks