Floor urinals, are they no longer code legal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many years ago, back when “you could trust your car to the man who wears the star,†mens rooms in filling stations and sometimes other public buildings would have a wall urinal that was approximately 5’ tall, with the drain in the floor. Long before excessive water usage was even a thought, those things began to fade away in lieu of the wall hung model. They were extremely sturdy, and impossible to rip off the wall by vandals – the drain and lower receptacle being constructed into part of the actual tile flooring.

Since men urinating is an operation that is naturally prone to splashing and dripping, I have always wondered why those things began to be discontinued, long before saving water was an issue? It sure looked like a great idea at that time, and still does. Obviously, something about the design of the unit was faulty, else they wouldn’t have been phased out.

What was wrong with those?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have the pleasure of visiting countries from time-to-time where floor urinals are common place.

They rule.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
urinal

If they are "illegal" someone should tell Kohler so they can stop making them. They take more time and effort to install properly, which is the biggest reason they are not used too frequently.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I see Kohler still sells trough urinals, and they won't let you put that in around here....water issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Well, that and the pissing on your feet thing

You can still do that with wall hung urinals, if your aim is that bad. But then it is like the time when the sailor and the Marine were in the rest room. They both used the urinals, and when finished the sailor went to the sink while the Marine headed out the door. The sailor shouted, "In the Navy we are taught to wash our hands after going to the bathroom." The Marine replied, "In the Marines, we are taught not to pee on our hands."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks