glue on plaster walls four feet up ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
Hi
we are redoing our kitchen (plumbing to be addressed on the other forum). Our kitchen had a 4 foot wainscott border of cheap t/g pine. My wife and I both disliked the look. When I removed it (easy) we found adhesive from a previouse tile job. Very rough swirls all over the place. Is there a way we can smooth this surface, without sanding down to the plaster. I tried that and it does not look good.I have thought of putting up drywall 4X 8 foot sheets fit great and than place some brushed nickle trim on the upper edge.We do not want to drywall the whole kitchen. The problem is my wife has not decided on a finish for the walls. Could I install tiles to the existing rough walls or am I kidding myself. L O L :) Every time I take something down in this home it's never what I expect, allways more money and time....
Thanks for your time
Dave

TheZster

Reaction score
I guess first, she better decide what she wants.... Depending on the "roughness" of the current finish - you may be able to "skim coat" the wall with drywall mud - providing a pretty smooth finish - not difficult, but takes some practice. Covering with new drywall with the nickel trim sounds kind of nice - actually - though the "roughness" of the current finish may dictate a bit more sanding....

Again, depending on the current finish - you might be able to tile over the present wall also.....

Once she decides..........

Tameria11

Reaction score
Could I put a coat of thin set over the roughness ( about a 1/4 inch roughness) and apply tiles, would the thinset adhere to the already appllied adhesive from long ago or would I have to sand everything but the kitchen sink ( it's about the only level, smooth item in the kitchen)
Dave

TheZster

Reaction score
Wow... without knowing what the adhesive is - it's hard for me to give a recommendation.... I would guess - it'll be fine as it's obviously stuck well and hard as a rock.... but - if I were you, I'd check out the johnbridges.com forum for a pro's opinion.

Tameria11

Reaction score
I went to the site you reccomended and it said it was for sale. Did I miss something
Dave

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Dave,

How much wall had the wainscot on it? My thought is to take out the old plaster from floor to ceiling, and put in new drywall/sheetrock. Your options would then be wide open as far as wall covering - tile, wallpaper, paint or more wainscot. ;)

You will be fighting the bumpiness if you try to tile over the old adhesive. Sanding it off would be more work than putting in new sheetrock, and would not get you as good of a surface.

Tameria11

Reaction score
the wainscot was 4 feet high. I just tore out all the plaster in the main bath 5 month reno finally finished.( I work 2 jobs) I was not looking forward to another major reno upstairs. I am starting on the downstairs bath next. Maybe put up 4X8 foot sections of rock to cover the old adhesive. so I guess tiles are out of the question?
Dave

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
www.johnbridge.com

Definately not for sale! If you put a straightedge across the ridges, does it lay flat? If so, then tile wouldn't be a major problem. Note that, though, you might have to use a medium set (allows thicker layer) than thinset. It is usually called granite and marble thinset. Even if the straighedge doesn't lay flat, you could still tile it, but it takes more skill. You could screed it flat first. Course, you could tear out that part and put up drywall, then tile or paint.

Tameria11

Reaction score
Hi Jim
Just to let you know. When I copied the link to your site that was given to me in this thread and pasted it in google it came up as for sale. Glad it was not you, very good site and advice
thanks
dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks