change two prong to three prong outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
hello all,
I have had great advice from this site and I need it again.
I have a two wire outlet in the attic . I have guitar amp that I want to put there. The amp has three prongs . Since running a ground to the water pipe is near impossible. But I know that I can put in a gfi outlet with "no equipment ground" . Can I put a 14 ga single wire from the ground screw on the outlet to the white neutral screw will that provide equipment ground?. Or is it code for massachusetts? Please help!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The whole idea of the safety ground is to have a TOTALLY independent safety path back to the breaker/fuse panel to ensure that the breaker/fuse will trip if there is a short. A jumper between the neutral and ground would NOT perform this safety feature. Use a GFCI recepticle, if you must emulate a ground there, or rewire the whole circuit. The GFCI essentially does the same thing, but electronically, rather than mechanically.

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
two prong to three

thank for the info ==I tried the gfi outlet but I was getting to much hum. I have used this setup in other settings . I guess Im pulling wires for the weekend...again thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks