(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can I combine brass/chrome and plastic p-trap segments?

Hybrid View

Default Can I combine brass/chrome and plastic p-trap segments?

I'm installing a pedestal sink in a tight alcove in a bathroom. Only about 4 inches of the horizontal drain pipe from the p-trap to the wall can be seen from any angle at all. Can I use a 1 1/4" plastic p-trap assembly for all of the hidden parts, and then use a chrome-plated brass wall tube or extension for the horizontal part going to the wall?

If so, is there anything special I need to know about connecting the plastic to the brass? Thanks.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Why not just use a chrome P-trap? Using a plastic trap and a chrome extension is just going to add more joints that are not needed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Why not just use a chrome P-trap? Using a plastic trap and a chrome extension is just going to add more joints that are not needed.

John
    Since it's a very tight space, it's helpful to be able to install and remove the trap by hand rather than with tools. I'm not a professional plumber, so the only tools I have that fit the large nuts are huge wrenches. The sink pedestal and walls make using a huge wrench difficult, if not impossible.

Can the plastic / chrome arrangement be made to work?

You can totally intermix tubular fittigs..plastic, plain brass, and chrome plated brass.

The joint between the two materials MAY require a "huge wrench" to tighten it, although all that is really needed is a pair of Channelock pliers, even with all brass parts.

Thanks for the helpful replies. If I use a brass extension attached to the plastic p-trap, I think I can make the connection between the two with a plastic nut. I have room against the wall to use a big wrench to connect the horizontal brass extension to the drain pipe.

Some of the washers and pipe designs look a little different between plastic and brass - some have plastic washers, some have rubber washers, some have flared ends and no washers. I didn't know if there were special considerations needed to mate the dissimilar pipes.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just use what comes with the extensions.
    If it's brass and a brass nut with rubber washer, that works

If it's plastic, with a plastic nut and plastic cone washer, that works.

We use channel lock pliers.
    Or our hands.