spalling concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

tregg

Reaction score
What are the remedys for spalling concrete? It's in my basement but not on a load bearing wall. It is next to the stairs going up and is on the edge of the attached garage so there is earth on the other side of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are various concrete products designed to top your slab. Will this ever be finished with something on it? Maybe tile, carpet, etc.? Then, it may not matter.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
jad....I think he is talking about a wall surface, not a floor slab. He mentions earth on the other side, and a contiuously wet wall which was not waterproofed on the outside can fall victum to spalling.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hydrostatic pressure may make any topping fail. You may want to call the manufactuer of the product. Two companies that make stuff for this are Ardex and Custom Building Products. There are others. Check their websites, read the spec sheets, and then call and talk to a tech to find the best product. Some of them require a primer first (a bonding agent), and that usually requires the area to be dry. Depending on the weather and ground conditions, you may only have a narrow window of opportunity to do this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks