High Tank Toilet Stopper

Users who are viewing this thread

eorns

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an old high tank toilet that won't flush anymore. The old stopper mechanism--a plastic cylinder that went up and down on a chain that wrapped around a copper tube with cutouts for water flow--ceased working after the copper rusted away. I suppose welding on a new piece would do the trick but this is way beyond my ability. A friend put in a rubber stopper, but, even with a weight, it won't stay down enough to keep the water from flowing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would depend somewhat on how big the hole in the bottom of the tank was...you might be able to put in a common flapper valve. This would involve dismounting the tank, and unscrewing the nut holding the flush valve in, then putting in a new flush valve. If you post a picture, someone may have an idea if parts are available to repair or replace the valve you have.

Or, you could do the environment a service and replace it with a modern, HET toilet that uses something like 1.28g to flush rather than the 5-8 gallons that old thing probably uses.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with jadnashua. Consign that old water hog to the land fill and get a Toto Drake. You'll be good for the rest of your life. Service items are common in every hardware store and plumbing shop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks