Which Cast Iron Flange Replacement is best

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtbone

Reaction score
Website
www.ottoplanet.net
Today I successfully removed the old cast iron toilet flange and am left with a 4" cast iron pipe. The top of the pipe will be about 1.25" below the level of the finished floor. I am looking at a couple of PVC/ABS replacement flange from Oatey and Sioux Chief. Which one would you guys reccomend?

Oatey Compression joint with screws to tighten compression
cast_iron_flng_rplcmnt.jpg

Oatey Twist 'n' Set
twist_n_set_flng.jpg

Sioux Chief Gasketed Closet Flange
C887gam.jpg

Sioux Chief Push-Tite Flange
C886ga.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ABS vs PVC is irrelevant when attaching to CI, so pick the one you can get easily, or is less expensive. I'd definately go for one with the (stronger) SS ring, though. Won't rust, or deflect or break as easily as an all plastic one.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED THOSE CHEAP PLASTIC FLANGES ARE JUST THAT CHEAP !
THEY ARE MADE AS REPLACEMENT FOR BAD PLASTIC FLANGES !
YOU NEED TO GO TO FRANK PATTERN & MANUFACTURING WEB SITE THEY HAVE ONE THAT IS 4" X 4"
TO BRING YOUR REPLACEMENT UP ABOVE THE FINISHED FLOOR LEVEL WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE
http://www.instantset.com/closet_rings.htm
Home
Announcements
Product Catalog

Closet Rings
Cast Iron
Model Numbers
Size
Regular
3"x2"
4"x2"
4"x2"
40TC
(w/test cap)
Instant Set® - Closet Ring 4"x4"
Model Numbers
Size
Regular

Deep
4"x4"

-

Instant Set® - Closet Ring 4"x6"

Model Numbers
Size

Regular

Deep
4"x6"

tomtbone

Reaction score
Website
www.ottoplanet.net
Any compression flange will ONLY seal if you can get the pipe smooth enough. I ONLY install cast iron flanges on cast iron pipes.

I understand that yes. What do you do though if the cast iron pipe is more than an inch below the finished floor level? Are those blue cast iron compression flanges adjustable?

I also saw at Lowe's today that Oakey is making a cast Iron Twist and seal flange

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The blue cast iron instant set tightens on the outside of the pipe by tighting the 3 7/16 bolts

around the flange, !

That is why you get one that is 4" deep it sets down below the floor and extends up to

above flooring to make the correct fit !

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
If i was doing it i would take both 4x2 and 4x4 to dry fit and make sure it tightens

correctly and will work properly ! !

Then return the one i don"t use !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think what HJ was alluding to was that he only installs a new leaded ci flange on a ci pipe...they come with different depth throats to accommodate the height of the ci riser. This is the longest lasting, strongest connection, least likely to leak of all of the choices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks