Lack of info on Toto CST 744SL

Users who are viewing this thread

123peanut

Reaction score
Just installed the Toto Drake CST 744 SL. On my first "flush" under real conditions (I think you know what I mean) the toilet plugged up and I had to use the plunger. The primary reason I bought this toilet was because of its reputation for a superior flush. Today, I learned from one of your readers that this toilet has a "variable" flush, one for liquid and the other for solid waste. (I obviously used the liquid flush, thus the clog) How interesting ! As this is not mentioned in the instruction manual at all. What a difference between the two ! Have not had a chance to test it out again but I am sure the results will be much improved.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would expect you have an installation error.
Did you use a wax ring that had a black plastic horn built into it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SL uses 1.6 gallons which should be plenty if the wax seal isn't blocking the outlet.

If you hold the handle down, it becomes something like a 2.5 gallon toilet.

There are a tiny percentage of people with medical issues that need a trapway larger then 2-1/8"
If that is the case, if you are in the less then 1% of the population, then I recommend the Caroma from Austria with a larger then 3" trapway.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Drake is not a dual flush toilet. Like all low flow toilets, only about half of the tank of water is used for a normal flush. If you for some reason feel you need a larger flush, you hold the handle in the flush position for a couple of seconds. The allows the remaining water to flush. This feature is not used very often. I suspect you either used a wax ring with a plastic funnel or you did not get the horn on the base of the Drake centered in the wax ring and squished the wax over the hole. It is also possible like a rag or towel was in the toilet when it was first flushed. As Terry pointed out, a very small percentage of the population as a bowel disorder that creates very large and hard stools, but barring that, you have an installation issue.

CentralTXPreacher

Reaction score
I just installed a Drake about a month ago. First the drake isn't a dual flush and as was mentioned you might want to make sure your wax seal isn't causing a problem. I have "worked over" my drake and no matter what I "throw" at it, it does it's job like a champ. I don't have to hold the handle down, and trust me, if I don't have to hold the handle down, no one should! (Probably TMI, but that is the way it is) As I meantioned in another post, my wife and I have kidded that if our little beagle dog got too close to the toilet, it would suck him in and flush him down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks