Washer/dryer power

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I got a new set of HE washer/dryer yesterday. The dryer is gas. Each can produce steam, and therefore has an electrical heater. From the power requirements, it appears that if both were trying to produce steam at the same time, it would overload the single 15A circuit that is there. So, I'm going to have to pull a new line. The user manual calls for a 15A circuit. What does the code say? Should I just run a 20A, or is 15A sufficient to pass? I'll probably use GFCI CB's and run individual circuits to a duplex outlet. I can live with it as is for awhile, since I don't expect to be using heat in both very often...most stuff can be washed in cold. But, for those occasions when I've got some really grody stuff to wash or wrinkles to release, they could both call for heat. Trying to avoid the hassle of tripped breakers.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
Jim, the currect NEC requirement is for a 120V, 20 amp circuit to serve the laundry area. GFI protection is required within 6' of a sink or luandry tub, otherwise a regular duplex is fine.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Thanks...
I'll have to double-check the max load for both units again. I need to check whether the existing circuit is 15A or 20A, and then decide. If it is 20A, both might just work without overloading, but not if it is 15A (I think it's run with 14G now, so should be 15A). Sounds like if I do rewire, I'll still run two new circuits. It's in the basement, so I'll probably still use GFCI breakers.

The next task is to see if I can fish the wires through the finished ceiling, or run EMT over there. If I run EMT, can I use one ground for two circuits, or do I have to run two grounds? For the GFCI, I know I need two hot and two neutrals. At 12g, would 1/2" emt be okay for 6 (or 5 if I can share the ground) fit, or do I need to go bigger for proper fill?

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
If you install two new circuits in a raceway then only one grounded (neutrals) will be needed. If the raceway is metal such as EMT and it is complete from the metal panel enclosure and the box in which the device is installed then there is no need for an equipment grounding conductor.

Should you deciede to install the circuits with a nonmetallic cable then use 12/3 with ground. Again one neutral and one equipment grounding conductor.

If two circuits are being installed with one neutral the either a two pole breaker or two single pole breakers with a handle tie must be used.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This might be a case where the code hasn't caught up with the bells and whistles. If each of those units uses say 12 amps, and the manufacturer called for a dedicated 15 amp circuit...for each....does that overide the code minimum of a single 20 amp, which would have been enough for a "regular" washer and gas dryer?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If I run them off of GFCI breakers, I'd need two neutrals, I think? You can get a clip to tie the two breakers together, is that correct? Do they make a dual circuit GFCI recepticle? I'm pretty sure I could get a single outlet GFCI device.

I searched through the manual and on-line, and they don't have the specs on the electrical load of the gas dryer. I found the certification label, and the washer calls for 10A and the dryer 6A, so I should be okay on the existing (I just checked) 20A circuit. Interesting, though, that the manufacturer recommends the washer be on its own dedicated circuit. How does code react to that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks