Advice for disgruntled employee!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kash

Austin
Reaction score
Well here it is, I recently moved to the northwest and finally landed a good job installing again!
I got into a debate with my employer about why he would rather use a round duct with saddle taps and a cap at the end instead of simply using a tye wye which tapers down and directs the air flow a hell of alot better! And his rebuttal to me "is well thats just preference." I asked him if its more cost efficient for his way vs a tye wye! His reply "it's an wash."
I said to him, "it's a lot more time consuming doing it that way!"
PLEASE help me come up with an educated response. PLEASE!!!:confused:

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mainly, 18" minimum duct is required after the last tap to pressurize duct back to source to promote equal pressure among all taps of round pipe. Running a diffuser or tee off end of duct is bad practice.

Any thing along the way one has to weigh the cost of fittings and labor to use one pipe and cut in taps, versus cut pipe and buy Tees or Wyes for takeoffs.

Depends on job and size, one spiral pipe with cut taps is easier to hang and is more ridgid then lots of joints.

Cookie

Reaction score
I correct my bosses mistakes very quietly, but to myself I whisper while walking away, " I quit."
But as long as she signs her name on the pay check it is her dime.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You don't get paid to think or ask questions. Bow and offer apologies and services to his lord almighty. :)

I do recall that once, maybe twice I was actually wrong but I would never show weakness and admit it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are cruising along on a three lane highway, and suddenly it changes to one lane, would you rather have barricades funneling the traffic into the lane, or just block the other two and let the cars figure out how to get into the lane. THAT is the difference between a smooth transition, and a blank with something tapped into it. If it is just a cap and the taps all go off before it, then it is probably cheaper to do it that way, than to fabricate the transition.

DeweyBeach

Reaction score
You shared your thoughts with your boss, and he told you he didn't agree with them -- end of story, leave it at that. Trying to teach the boss a better way of doing things is only likely to earn you a label as a troublemaker (especially since you're relatively new).

And don't bring up the subject with co-workers, because your boss will eventually find out what your thoughts are and be unhappy that you're a) not letting go of something that he told you to drop, b) going around behind his back telling all the other employees that you think he doesn't know what he's doing, and c) getting bogged down in little details instead of maximizing your boss's profit in the way that he thinks is best.

The boss is the boss. He gets to have the job done his way, regardless of whether his way is right or wrong. When you start signing the paychecks, finding and scheduling the customers, dealing with suppliers, managing parts and inventory and vehicles, etc., then you can insist that things be done any way you want. If the situation with the saddle taps, etc. bothers you so much that you feel you just can't keep your thoughts to yourself, then look for a job with another company or set out on your own.

Last edited:

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I have employees too. I have no idea what happened here but for the sake of argument let's say you were technically right.

Maybe it's more time consuming but looked better. Maybe he didn't have what you wanted to use on the truck. Maybe he was completely wrong and you were 100% right. Arguing with him is just going to tick him off. Part of being in business is making decisions. They aren't always the right ones - but at least you made them. Being second guessed on them is just irritating.

I think it's good you are thinking it through and completely disagree with the poster that said you aren't being paid to think. You are being paid to think and question - but after you get your answer go back to work and not revisit the issue. You made your opinion known and I think it's a good thing you did. But there's nothing to gain from being right - if you even are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks