Wall Mount Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Danglus

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling an attic and adding 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. I am interested in adding a wall mount toilet and specifically looking at a Toto model. I don't see many mentions about wall mount systems. What are your favorite and easy to install in the wall valves.

I know I will need to build a cavity with 6" studs and 19 3/4" wide, are there any other considerations??

Why so we not see more of these installed residentially??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are more expense, and more work then a standard floor mount toilet.
However, I grew up in a home with wall mount toilets, and it was nice.

The Toto dual flush bowl uses the Gerberit wall unit.
You can also use several othe brands of bowls with the Gerberit.

Last edited:

Danglus

Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quick.

I was surprised that the prices I have gotten so far for the toto wall mount and Gerberit wall unit didn't seem out of line.

My plumber has never installed one before, should I be afraid?? I am an avid DIYer and have installed plenty of toilets, the instructions didn't seem very difficult. I figured I could make sure he is doing it right.

I have travelled extensively through Europe and almost never see a floor mount toilet being used.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They aren't that hard to install. It's just a matter of having the instructions ahead of time.

emd36_duravit_6.jpg

more

emd36_duravit_3.jpg

With the Duravit Stark3 bowl.

Last edited:

klm

Reaction score
Terry,
TOTO's website implies they'll have their own in-wall tank system 3Q. Any news on that? I'd like to get the dimensions required.
thanks, KLM

Canada

Reaction score
Actually I am in the middle of deciding which bowl to choose as well. I am opting for the Gerberit carrier as they have been around for a while and proven to work just fine.
Choice now is between the very similar looking Duravit Stark3 and Toto Aquia. I have seen the Stark3 in a showroom but can't find one with an Aquia one (and according to the Toto sales rep there is none in BC, Canada or WA).
Really liked the Stark3 but cons are bowl is a little more expensive, seats are very expensive... Liked the concealed fastening for the Stark3 that's now available in Europe (unfortunately not yet in North America) but can't wait till it might get introduced here...

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with either one?

Terry, I know you are a big fan of Toto. Just wondering if the flushing on wall hung Aquia would be same quality as 2-piece Aquia II/III, any idea?

4creation

Reaction score
Installation really isn't my area of expertise, but I have seen wall mounted toilets installed with stainless steel studs for extra strength as opposed to traditional wooden ones. You definitely need to consider how much weight might be placed on that toilet, especially if you plan on selling your house within the next few years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Steel studs, traditionally, are NOT as sturdy as wood studs, regardless of which steel they are. The key to any wall mounted toilet is that the "carrier" MUST be rigidly fastened to studs that cannot bend, sway, or twist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks