Drain Fly nightmare--HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

APinchuk

Reaction score
So this has been going on for about 1.5 months now.

At first I thought they were gnats, but the usual tricks to get rid of them didn't work. Did some research and figured out by looking at behavior and the way they look that they are drain flies.

First I covered the drains with tape in the rooms with the biggest problems and nothing attached to the tape. So I deduced that they are not coming from the drains.

Then we bought Bio Clean and are almost done with the treatments on the top floor. We are doing the master bath first and strangely, the next morning, we see a ton of flies in my daughter's bathroom. Can't figure out why.

We also found about 50 dead drain flies in our clothes dryer in the basement, which has completely baffled us. This does not seem like a place that drain flies would go!

Here is what we are wondering:

* could drain flies be coming from the air conditioner? I do see them in rooms with no water, but near the A/C vents. But it's NOT in every room with vents.

* we had a leak in our front-lawn sprinkler. The sprinkler company could not find the leak, so we just turned off the water to the front sprinkler. Could this leak, although it should long since have dried, be one of the problems?

We don't see any water damage anywhere to indicate a water leak inside the house.

We are at our wits end, and some of the local plumbers I've spoken to have not had experience with drain flies. We need someone stealthy who can help us figure out their breeding places.

Any guidance anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
AJ

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had the same problem last year !

It is a very simple cheap way to solve problem !

You take a large pot or kettle of boiling water fresh off the stove and pour whole pot

down each drain ! Kitchen sink, lav sinks, shower, bathtubs, washer drain, etc.

Except do " not" do the toilet bowls this could cause them to crack or break ! !

You use a cup of bleach in each toilet bowl and let set for a couple of hours !

What you are doing is sterilizing the water in the p traps where the eggs and larvae live

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks