Trap primer installation

Users who are viewing this thread

blitziger

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how a trap primer actually works and whether I'm installing the adapter in the right place. I've read here on this forum and elsewhere that the valve is activated by a pressure change. I'm assuming that is a change in water pressure, and I'm hoping that means that there is only a drips worth of water sent to the trap, not a squirt, since that seems like it could waste alot of water over time.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TrapPrimer.jpg
    TrapPrimer.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,099

blitziger

Reaction score
I just went to the manufacturers website and found a picture that matches my diagram above so it looks like I'm on the right track.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can anyone explain how a trap primer actually works and whether I'm installing the adapter in the right place. I've read here on this forum and elsewhere that the valve is activated by a pressure change. I'm assuming that is a change in water pressure, and I'm hoping that means that there is only a drips worth of water sent to the trap, not a squirt, since that seems like it could waste alot of water over time.

Thanks.

They work on pressure loss. So when water is used on the piping they're attached to they open up and let a few drips of water out. So make sure you put it on a line you use often enough to keep the trap primed.

Most people will attach them to the cold water inlet on the HWT so that every time somone uses some hot water they are also priming the trap :D

blitziger

Reaction score
Thanks Doherty, I'll aim the primer piping under slab straight toward the water heater location.

P.S., Saw the pictures you posted for the Naramata Winery. Is that a normal practice to attach the piping directly to the rebar? Are they going to lift the rebar before the pour? All I've seen is around here is putting the pex in first directly on the insulation and the rebar goes on top in the middle of the slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks