(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical - Dishwasher hookup.

Question Electrical - Dishwasher hookup.

What is the proper/standard (code) way to run the electric to the dishwasher? So far I have the wire coming out of the wall behind the sink cabinet. I kow the connection is made from within that cabinet but here are my questions:
    • Where do I set the junction box.
      • Do I make it hardwired.
        • Do I make an outlet and attach a plug to the dishwasher wire so I can plug it into the outlet.

Thank you.
    Brian

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Part III of 422 requires a disconnect for all appliances rated at one eighth horse power and larger.
    422.16(B)(2) allows a cord as long as the cord is three to four feet long and it is terminated in a receptacle that has a grounding terminal. This receptacle can be in the same space as the dishwasher or in the space adjacent thereto.

You obviously didn't understand my plain jargin...lol. That being said...WHAT? Talk to me like I'm a customer and not an electrician... I appreciate your feedback but it was a little ambiguous for me not having an electical background. I just need simple terms..thank you again.
    Brian

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you hardwire it, you need a switch (disconnect). If you don't, they allow you to attach a power cord (no longer than the code allows), and plug it in. If the description above doesn't make sense, maybe it's time for an electrician.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks - I understand.
    Brian

"back in the day" dishwashers were always hardwired....a plain romex just stuck out through the drywall and was connected to the jbox on the machne. Two things have changed:
    ►you are now required to have a disconnect means, which can be just plug, or a switch.
    ►many DW are now 'tall tub', and any work after you slide the machine into the spot is very difficult. I like to make all the electrical and plumbing connections outside, then feed the wire/tube thru as you slide the machine in.

For the above reasons, I suggest putting a receptacl in a box, surface mount or conventional, and put it NOT behind the DW but in the adjacent sink cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by bjferri View Post
    Talk to me like I'm a customer and not an electrician... .
    Well okay then here i go. hire an electrician for this installation to ensure your safety.
    Last edited by jwelectric; 07-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.

My sarcastic humor sometimes gets the best of me. Please excuse that. I get a wealth of valuable information from this forum and all the professionals, including you, have helped a great deal.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bjferri View Post
    My sarcastic humor sometimes gets the best of me. Please excuse that. I get a wealth of valuable information from this forum and all the professionals, including you, have helped a great deal.

Then you must have wanted me to answer you with advice instead of answering you as my customer. As a customer of mine I will always be thinking of your safety and would never advise you with how to information.

A means to disconnect must be installed. This disconnect can be a switch or a receptacle. If it is a receptacle then the cord supplying the dishwasher cannot be longer than four feet. If you chose to use a switch then the switch must be insight of the dishwasher when the unit is being serviced or taken out.

If you choose to hardwire your dishwasher, I believe that a lock out on the breaker also satisfies the disconnect requirement (at least the inspectors approve it down here).

Quote Originally Posted by bsperr View Post
    If you choose to hardwire your dishwasher, I believe that a lock out on the breaker also satisfies the disconnect requirement (at least the inspectors approve it down here).

I don't think that this would be compliant with part III of 422

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As I understand it, the concept is that there must be a way to disconnect the DW that is near it and positive. In that case, a breaker panel would not suffice, regardless of whether it was dedicated to the device or not. Now, from a functional point of view, it would be fine, but does not meet current code requirements. Lots of things will work (and have for a long time), but are no longer approved. WHen my old DW dies, I guess I'll need to address this, but until then, I'm leaving well enough alone. No need to crawl around under there now. Probably have to do the same thing with my disposal unit.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Why? .

Not an electrician.......so I will just hazard this guess: the intent of the code is to make it CONVENIENT for a serviceman to turn off the power to a dishwasher, air conditioning unit, etc. ....lest they be tempted to work on it live.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    422.31(B) seems to allow the breaker to serve as the disconnecting means for a DW if it's within sight or is equipped with a lockout device, but I know a lot of people prefer for it to be cord-and-plug connected.