Composite decking materials

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have built a small deck and have used Trex (20 square feet - I said it was small).

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether composite decking is actually any good vis-a-vis treated lumber.

So, is it any good?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My deck is about 700 sq ft and made of Redwood. It was built before Trex and other composites became popular. The Redwood was quite expensive, at least for that much deck, but Terx would have be far more than I could have handled. I have heard nothing bad about Trex or other composites, so I'd say you are in good shape. One positive thing, you don't have to re-stain it every 3 or 4 years. Come to think of it, I haven't redone my deck in about 6 years...and it needs it! Oh well, a homeowners work is never finished.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks