Best way to connect PVC to Galvanized?

Users who are viewing this thread

BurleyMike

Reaction score
This is for the suction line on my sprinkler pump. I have a sandpoint well that has a 1-1/2" galvanized tee on the end of the casing. Currently I have a 1-1/2" galvanized nipple coming from the tee to a PVC union then another galvanized nipple to the pump. I cannot seem to make the connection at the union air tight. I would like to run all PVC from the tee on the well casing to the pump. I get the feeling the leaks are occuring on the male threads going into the female PCV threads. Using a few wraps of pink PTFE tape makes it better but does not stop air getting in.

Am I just as likely to have leaks screwing in a SCH 80 PVC nipple into the tee on the well casing?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Keep the galvy tee. Ditch the union and the nipple. screw a pvc male adapter into the tee. Use tape or pipe dope. You don't need the union. I you need to take the pipe apart you can just cut it. If it was mine I'd ditch the pvc also and go with PE

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I was thinking about something flexible like PE, the slip fittings won't allow any air to get sucked in? That was my only concern. I would much rather go with the PE it would sure simpilify things a whole lot. I am planning to install a bigger pump and add two more sand points. Using PE will make the plumbing a snap.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it will and less chance of leaks because no couplings. Just make sure to use brass or stainless steel barb x male fittings and double clamp them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks