How do I know if my water powerd sump pump is running and not the primary pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

milkmoney11

Reaction score
First off, I just want to say I am pretty much ignorant to any handyman/plumbing concepts. I have owned my first house for just over a year and am finding it pays (literally and figuratively) to have a general understanding. With that being said...take it easy on me if this is a dumb question.

I had a backup powered water sump pump from Liberty installed by a local plumbing company. The plumber told me since my specific model doesn't have an alarm to notify me when it is running, it is a good idea to check periodically to make sure my primary pump hasn't burned out, otherwise I will have a hefty water bill.

I said "Okay" and off he went.

The question is...ummm..how do I check this? I have watched the crock empty and have no idea what pump is actually pumping out the water. I know how to check the water pump to see if its functioning...you just unplug the primary and fill the crock. I can't do that with the water pump since it doesn't run on electricity.

Is there a quick way to check to make sure my primary pump is emptying the pit?

Thanks in advance...

Cookie

Reaction score
Hello,

If you turn the water off at the main shut off where it comes into the house your back up pump will have no water by which to operate and you will know if your main pump is working.

milkmoney11

Reaction score
Ahhh...I see now that I've looked into the crock with a flashlight. The venturi sits a few inches up from the bottom of the crock so if it is completely emptying below the venturi then the main pump is working. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks