Cutting And Then Extending Well Casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Regis Tration

Reaction score
I have a well in a very remote location close to the ocean, where it is exposed to salt air. The portion of the well casing that is above the soil is severely corroded.

I would like to replace the corroded casing.

I had in mind to dig out the soil surrounding the casing a few inches deep, cut away or break away the portion of the casing that is corroded, push a sleeve down over the part that is not corroded, and then insert a new piece of casing into the other end of the sleeve.

It is very unlikely that I could get a welder to come to the well, so I am looking for a solution that does not involve welding.

Can anyone recommend a good method and products please?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's not approved but you could dig down a bit and cut it off and then extend it using a Fernco coupling and then go to PVC which will not corrode.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Fernco couplings are not an approved repair on any well anywhere!

Your DIY remedy sounded best. Cut the casing off at a point where the casing is good. Then obtain a belled end of PVC the size of your steel casing, see that it will fit tight over the steel casing and if it will apply plenty of PVC Cement and push it over the cut off casing. NOTE: if the PVC is a little to small you can heat it over an car exaust or place the end in hot water until it's soft, then you can drive it over the casing, then let it cool befor removing it and applying PVC Cement. This is an approved repair in most states. . . however keep in mind that most states require this repair to be done by a licensed well driller. From here on you're on your own.
Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks