(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Proline Controller

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member jerome8283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    140

    Default Pro-line Controller

    I have an old Pro-line Hydro-Saver Automatic Irrigation Controller. Recently while running it switches to a "System Trouble" indication on the panel and beeps until I press any button on the panel to clear it. The controller is at least 13yrs old. I would like to know what my options are for a replacement.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jerome8283; 07-11-2010 at 06:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kamloops, in Beautiful British Columbia
    Posts
    100

    Default

    After thirteen years, you have gotten your money's worth out of that one.

    I don't really understand 'options'. Replacement is replacement. If you are looking for what to replace it with, I like the Nelson/Signature controllers. They are AFAIC the easiest and simpelest controller for the consumer to operate.

    How many zones do you have? Is your conroller indoor or outdoor mounted? You have two schedules, Nelson/Signature have two for the indoor 4 & 6 zone controllers, and three schedules (a,b, & c) for the indoor/outdoor controller

    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Si...mers-s/100.htm

    Are you knowlegeable/skillfull enough to install and program the new controller yourself?

    Mick

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member jerome8283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
    After thirteen years, you have gotten your money's worth out of that one.

    I don't really understand 'options'. Replacement is replacement. If you are looking for what to replace it with, I like the Nelson/Signature controllers. They are AFAIC the easiest and simpelest controller for the consumer to operate.

    How many zones do you have? Is your conroller indoor or outdoor mounted? You have two schedules, Nelson/Signature have two for the indoor 4 & 6 zone controllers, and three schedules (a,b, & c) for the indoor/outdoor controller

    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Si...mers-s/100.htm

    Are you knowlegeable/skillfull enough to install and program the new controller yourself?

    Mick
    Zones = 5
    Indoor controller - garage
    I never installed one but as long as the instructions are clear I see no problem doing it myself. Do I need to simply replace the controller only? I see everything is wired directly to it.
    Last edited by jerome8283; 07-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member jerome8283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Mick - I took a look at the URL you posted. The Nelson/Signature controllers sound like they will do the job. They have nice features, some I have now, some I don't. Based on what I have now it appears the 8306C - Signature EZ Pro Jr. Series 6 station Controller would make a good replacement since I have 5 zones and external power. Currently I have a hardwired transfer connected for power but I guess I could use the power cord that comes with the 8306C.

  5. #5
    Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kamloops, in Beautiful British Columbia
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
    Mick - I took a look at the URL you posted. The Nelson/Signature controllers sound like they will do the job. They have nice features, some I have now, some I don't. Based on what I have now it appears the 8306C - Signature EZ Pro Jr. Series 6 station Controller would make a good replacement since I have 5 zones and external power. Currently I have a hardwired transfer connected for power but I guess I could use the power cord that comes with the 8306C.
    I like these clocks because thay are the easiest and quickest for my clients to learn to use. They also have great features.

    The 8306 has a built in transformer. You only have to hang the clock in the right place in the garage, wire the power cord to the transformer, wire the six irrigation wires, plug it in and program it.

    Don't forget to pull the plastic tab before you start wiring the irrigation wires in. Pulling that tab will allow the rehargable lithium battery to touch the contacts and charge up. When you open it up, you'll see it.

    I can't remember how long the power cord is. It's either 6 or 8' If you need something longer, I normally purchase a three wire extension cord and cut off the female end, to wire into the transformer.

    Mick

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member jerome8283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
    I like these clocks because thay are the easiest and quickest for my clients to learn to use. They also have great features.

    The 8306 has a built in transformer. You only have to hang the clock in the right place in the garage, wire the power cord to the transformer, wire the six irrigation wires, plug it in and program it.

    Don't forget to pull the plastic tab before you start wiring the irrigation wires in. Pulling that tab will allow the rehargable lithium battery to touch the contacts and charge up. When you open it up, you'll see it.

    I can't remember how long the power cord is. It's either 6 or 8' If you need something longer, I normally purchase a three wire extension cord and cut off the female end, to wire into the transformer.

    Mick
    Thanks Mick. I'm reading this right after installing a new Orbit Controller. I went with the Orbit because I could get it immediately at the big box store and take it back without problems if it did not work.

    It was very easy as you said. I labeled the wires as I took them off the old controller. After connecting everything I tested and noticed station 2 of 5 was not working. This was probably the issue all along. Since my watering schedule starts at 5:30am, I did not notice station two not working.

    I'm guessing the problem could be the solenoid?

    Please let me know what you think. Thanks again
    Last edited by jerome8283; 07-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.

  7. #7
    Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kamloops, in Beautiful British Columbia
    Posts
    100

    Default

    If you're the least bit handy (and comfortable) with tools, you should be ok with this job.

    It's fairly easy. Instructions do come with them. Keep track of what wire (color(s)) go to what zone before you start taking anything abart. Make note of your common wire. Normally it's white, but I've seen people use all colors for common.

    Do you have a rain sensor? A booster pump? Master Valve? Those take a little more work, but easy to get around.

    Mick

Similar Threads

  1. What is the purpose of the Controller?
    By rrekih in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 07:46 PM
  2. ICC Hunter Controller
    By mishy64 in forum Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:28 AM
  3. Right controller???
    By SourKraut in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
  4. Controller Problems
    By Rowdydog in forum Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM
  5. Err on My ICC Controller
    By gmrules in forum Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •